Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...why?

Unbeknownst to me the radiator fan in my Alfetta GT has not been working (I've found the problem), but this a.m. I had by far the best A/C there has ever been in the car (it came with A./C). Temp outside was about 85, so certainly not a scorcher, but I was actually a bit chilly.

Why would this be with the only variable being the radiator fan wasn't working, though the A/C push fan was working?

I have a freshly rebuilt heavy duty alternator in the Alfetta but I can't believe the additional amp draw of the radiator fan would make the slightest difference in any event.

To get home I jumpered the two wires going to the thermostatic fan switch on the radiator and was back to anemic A/C cooling and water temp was fine.

I'm pretty sure the switch I installed on the dryer is for high cut-off only.

If you haven't figured it out, I really, really want that cold of an A/C and I suppose I should fix the radiator fan situation. Sigh.

Biba

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
That's an odd one.

Could your radiator fan be set to push instead of pull or be working against the condensor fan in some way??? I'm sure you have checked this. I wouldnt expect an electric fan to pull any more than 8-10 amps. Try turning both on at the same time and see how many amps each pulls and then disconnect the radiator fan to see if this makes a difference to the condensor fan's amp draw and fan speed.

Alternatively the other explanation is that its a coincidence and you have dodgy thermostat or a dodgy compressor that all of a sudden started working properly.

I can't think what else could be the cause of this.

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
That happened to me. One of the fans on my Verde was running backwards. AC was so much better when I noticed it and fixed it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked both my A/C and rad. fans and they are wired correctly.

I didn't add that I was driving west in the late a.m.so that the sun wasn't blasting into the interior, then heading back, was going east, heading into the sun. This might have been the difference in cooling.

I've toyed with having the inside windshield and side windows tinted, though I'm not really sure who to trust to do it right - and have no desire to learn how to apply tint on my own car.

Biba

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Biba,
When I was putting in the A/C in my Alfetta I found that the amount on sunlight, and from what direction (front or back) does make a big difference in actual and preceived cooling.
Heading into the sun warms your legs nicely.
Good day to test things with 90+ degrees forcast.
What is the temp difference of your cabin temp and the temp of your A/C air. I can get about 30deg early/late in the day and about 20-25 mid day. The Alfetta/GTV6 HVAC gets "cool" cabin air from just under the center of the black dash board. Good thinking Alfa . . . I put some foil insulation in that area to lessen the radiated heat.
Window tint - To see if it will work why not experiment with the cheapy stuff from PepBoys/Kragen/Autozone. Just cut it, spray on water, apply and squeegy off the excess water. I found that a 4" strip on the top of the windshield really helped. I stopped there but should have done the same to the rear hatch.
A/C will be shut off by the HI/LO switch if your cooling fans are not working. I found this out when my condenser fan wire came off. The A/C started up just fine but after a few minutes it heated up (HI pressure) so the HI/LO switch shut the compressor off. Your radiator fan also contributes to the condenser cooling.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul, thanks for your input. I'd like to have the entire windshield (and side windows) covered with film, but how can they do that what with the compound curves? I don't believe the material stretches, though might be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts