Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a ´76 Kammtail, as some of you might remember from this thread: (2) Spider 2000 Kammtail -76, the restoration | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)
It´s to far gone to do an all original restoration, and there are so many allready done. It would be too expensive to take that road.
So I´m thinking about doing a light custom restoration, without it loosing it´s soul. (No plastic skirts and ****)

Has anyone seen this on a kammtail? I´ve been searching the internet, but come up short.
Please help with inspiration pics if you now of any.

/Seb

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I really like the S2a era because it's a great car to start with and nobody minds of you make changes.

It's a matter of personal taste of course but I'm not inclined to do too much to the exterior. You've already done the bumpers, I'd shave the side markers and install headlight covers. With the interior there's a lot more leeway. I like to clean up the center console by removing most of the warning lights and covering the surface with wood veneer. I also make a rear shelf to clean up the area behind the seats. You could have custom seat covers made as well as door cards. Change out the carpet.

The engine and running gear is where you can pretty much do anything. You could hot rod the stock motor or swap out for a Twinspark or really go big with a V6. Lots of suspension mods options will transform the driving experience.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
.... and small round Alfa mirrors.

Reactions: gprocket

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I'm not inclined to do too much to the exterior. You've already done the bumpers, I'd shave the side markers and install headlight covers. With the interior there's a lot more leeway. I like to clean up the center console by ....
I'm with gprocket here. So many kustomizers try to improve the exterior styling of squaretails and fail where Pininfarina succeeded, particularly when re-working the rear. That Alfetta back bumper used in the thread Raukstern referenced is one example. Several spiders converted to round tail lights are another (hey, Pininfarina designed the OE lights to work with the squaretail shapes and curves).

On the other hand, the interiors got kind of fussy by the S2 era and some clean-up might be in order. gprocket suggests "cleaning up" the console, but how about eliminating it entirely? The S1's had no consoles, which gave them a more vintage look and freed up scarce interior space. Like disco and long sideburns, consoles were one of those 70's fads that might be better forgotten.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That rear bumper mod by Raukstern is much, much better than the original 200 lb. rubber bumper eye sore.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
788 Posts
I'm guessing by the OP's flag that this is perhaps not a US spec car...so probably already had the nicer bumpers to start with...

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Here is my thread about getting rid of the console

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here is my thread about getting rid of the console
Love that wiper + washer switch mod!!

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
That rear bumper mod by Raukstern is much, much better than the original 200 lb. rubber bumper eye sore.
Sure, no disagreement there. But what's wrong with the rear bumper that Pininfarina designed? It matches the front bumper and integrates well with the body. I know originals are rare and repros are expensive, but perfection doesn't come cheap.

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a ´76 Kammtail, as some of you might remember from this thread: (2) Spider 2000 Kammtail -76, the restoration | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com)
It´s to far gone to do an all original restoration, and there are so many allready done. It would be too expensive to take that road.
So I´m thinking about doing a light custom restoration, without it loosing it´s soul. (No plastic skirts and ****)

Has anyone seen this on a kammtail? I´ve been searching the internet, but come up short.
Please help with inspiration pics if you now of any.

/Seb

View attachment 1668842
If that is your car, don't change it. That is one sweet looking Spider! Really like the wheels and stance

Pete

Reactions: Raukstern

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
Love that Raukstern front modification - very clean! Almost a 993 front end. Wish it was a kit.

View attachment 1668883
Why are we not proud of it being an Alfa Romeo? I assume this is the case by the dropping of the shield :(
Pete

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why are we not proud of it being an Alfa Romeo? I assume this is the case by the dropping of the shield :(
Pete
I thought the shield just happened to be hidden by the license... at least in my mind, I still saw the shield. Could be there, if you wanted it to be.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
... gprocket suggests "cleaning up" the console, but how about eliminating it entirely? The S1's had no consoles, which gave them a more vintage look and freed up scarce interior space. Like disco and long sideburns, consoles were one of those 70's fads that might be better forgotten.
While I generally like the minimalist approach WRT eliminating the center console (I routinely do this with GTVs) I'm just not sold on the S2 dash look without it. It just seems too well integrated not to have it. I do plan on eliminating the center console on my '76 Spider but I'm going to do it by retroing it back with an S1 dash. But like most my own projects it gets pushed to the back burner...

Here are a couple of pictures of my modded center consoles:

This one I went the extra step and retro'd the switches as well - basically a '69 GTV set up:

IMAG0575.jpg

This one has power windows so I stayed with the stock switches and just eliminated the idiot lights and ashtray. BTW, I've added a "dam" at the rear of the console so I could put my cell on the console...
IMG_20200922_184923545.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
While I generally like the minimalist approach WRT eliminating the center console (I routinely do this with GTVs) I'm just not sold on the S2 dash look without it. It just seems too well integrated not to have it.
I totally agree with you there. It seems that there is too much void space between the underside of the radio and the tunnel on the Spider to do this effectively and there would be too much heater box showing. The 1750/2000 GTV dashes curl down and toward the firewall and look more suited for a console delete.

Reactions: gprocket

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
What about getting rid of the side scallop, shaving the door handles ...

Pete

Reactions: alfaparticle

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
this might to far for you, but i did this after a young ladie blew out my taillamps when she hit me...cell phone driver........ to replace the panel and both taillamps $$$$$ so i did this.. i love the ferrari 4 rounds .. the lamps will be set up this way.. at night running down the road ... you will see 2 led rings on each side of the car.. when braking,, the center leds light up.. left or right turn, the ou
20180821_124721.jpg
20180821_124651.jpg
12121212.jpg
azazaz.jpg
zxzxz.jpg
ter' inner led lights up.. ( the rings will always be on at nights ) during a stop with the brake lights on, the inner brake lamp stays on, the outer ( inner ) lamp will flash.. should be a cool effect
12121212.jpg

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
sorry about the print.. i have no idea why the print gets like that

1 - 20 of 43 Posts