Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Attached is a letter from one Edward Thorpe, London, UK, published in Classic and Sportscar, February 1995. Anyone know the rest of the story? Who was that "Young American Racer from Pasadena". Could I copywrite that as song title??

regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The "dealer in Pasadena" was probably Peter Satori Motors, the authroized Alfa dealer in Pasadena. I recall Tom Hines working there AND having a GTA...his was RHD.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lovely to have the information Anthony and yet another car seemingly driven by Rindt! Is this really the case? Or is this like the old ERA story...of all the 18 cars made only 21 are still running...sort of thing.
regards,

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I think I recall contributing to the "super racer" thread by digging around for information on the origins of the UK registration plate of this car, and there was a Derbyshire connection. Some possible link to Wiltshire, and Rob Walker's old garage, too. One of the old B&W photos of the car does show a flash on the front right corner. Nice to see more history appearing for this car, would be nice to see it back in the UK one day though. Get that application for Goodwood sorted out ... ;)

Alex.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I think I recall contributing to the "super racer" thread by digging around for information on the origins of the UK registration plate of this car, and there was a Derbyshire connection. Some possible link to Wiltshire, and Rob Walker's old garage, too. One of the old B&W photos of the car does show a flash on the front right corner. Nice to see more history appearing for this car, would be nice to see it back in the UK one day though. Get that application for Goodwood sorted out ... ;)

Alex.
Alex,

Is there anyway to obtain more information on the cars history by looking up the plate number? Goodwood would be nice. Perhaps do that event before shipping it back after the Targa Florio :D

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I think I mentioned it before, but you would be well advised to start your research at the DVLA, provided you know the full registration plate from the UK. You could also try writing a letter to Motor Sport / Classic and Sportscar magazines in the UK. Supply a period photo or three and it might get published, which might jog someone's memory. Goodwood is invitation-only but discrete enquiries with the right people might pay off, especially if you knew a top race driver from the period who'd partner you in the drive ... ;)

Alex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts