Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This alloy-floored car has appeared on the market in the UK, at Martin Chisholm Collectors Cars. It's claimed to be the ex-Sebring car driven by Jochen Rindt in 1966 (in Alleggerita there's a photo of it during that race with rippled panelwork down the left side). I had a chance to take a look at it some months ago and it's in great used condition, not a trophy queen. It's apparently got all kinds of period mods to the suspension, including a wider front track achieved by cutting and widening the chassis brace going across under the engine. I wish I had had the chance to take a closer look at it from under a four-post lift! Must be one of the most desirable of the GTAs currently on the market, and probably bloody expensive too.

I just hope it stays in Europe ...

Alex.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
You mean you haven't done that to your GTV ;)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
While 613011 is a Sebring car, to my knowledge it is 613006 that is the Rindt car. That should be interesting how this pans out in the market.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've always heard the same thing. 613 006 was on display at this years Monterey Historics. Here is a link to a thread about the car: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=47303
I've "heard" for years that both chassis NOs are claimed to be the Rindt Sebring winner #36. I think it is fairly clear that both cars were the Autodelta entrants at Sebring, at least I have not heard that disputed or heard of another chassis No. making that claim.

I "think" (please, anyone, clarify this for me) that Rindt was slated to drive and may have practiced in #35 but ended up racing in the damaged (by Busicello sp?) #36 and winning in #36. If true both car were "Rindt" GTAs.

I have never talked to an owner nor seen the record of provenance that exists for either GTA. Never seen either one for that matter, only pictures and never a picture of the S/N. Nor have I "heard" the subsequent Trans Am race history, if any for either chassis.

Interesting that both are carrying #36 in recent Pictures.

I "heard' several months ago that 613 011 was being offered for sale and that its provenance looked good as the Sebring winner.

A while back I posted pictures on this BB, from Sebring 1966, showing the Italian licence plate numbers on one or both of these GTAs in hope that it would help with an ID. Never heard more.

Who "knows" all the correct information???

Got to love a mystery?

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
613006 is ex-David Rugh, ex Terry Larson. If I remember correctly, the car was disassembled by David Rugh because of serious body damage. Among other things, the car had body damage consistent with the roll-over by Roberto Businello in practice (the story I have heard is that Businello rolled because he tore out the seat mounts out of the aluminum floor) and visible on race photographs with Rindt behind the wheel. The shell was essentially boned out with the firewall & I believe front section of the car, alloy floors and mechanical bits being sold as a package with some new NOS sheet metal - I remember seeing pictures of the remains of the car lying in a a field/meadow.

The Koni shocks that came with the car sported #36 on them and to my knowledge the car and serial # were authenticated as the Jochen Rindt Sebring winning car by Don Black.

I have always had a fascination with this particular car, as I have been a longstanding Jochen Rindt fan and the car was ac tually offered to me as part of a swap. Anyway, at some point in time the bits and firewall were built up into a car using a 1600 GTV shell by Butch Dennison with NOS GTA fenders that were modified to the early 1600 fender line. The front exterior sheet metal was replica but since has obviously been changed after the car's accident.

The car as shown at Monterey shows some neat bits such as the early sliding block with closed bottom. However, it's also lost it's original Autodelta driver's seat - probably for saftey reasons and the original style Autodelta leather steering wheel.

·
Registered
331 Posts
GTA #613011 would be an original 1966 Sebring car, but not driven by Jochen Rindt, it was raced by Andrea de Adamich with No. 35 (finished third oa, 2cl). One photo is shown in the "Alleggerita" book, but with the wrong text ("Oulton Park"). On the Virginia Raceways site (also on Alfas in TransAm on these pages) you can see that this car was driven by Bill Barnes later this year

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
GTA #613011 would be an original 1966 Sebring car, but not driven by Jochen Rindt, it was raced by Andrea de Adamich with No. 35 (finished third oa, 2cl). One photo is shown in the "Alleggerita" book, but with the wrong text ("Oulton Park"). On the Virginia Raceways site (also on Alfas in TransAm on these pages) you can see that this car was driven by Bill Barnes later this year

Hi Martin, How are you attributing the serial number 613 011 to the #35 Sebring, Andrea de Adamich GTA. I can't find reference to Barns in the VIR race or a # 35 GTA. Please help me out here. Which 1966 race did Barns enter??

Regards

Ken

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Sebring GTAs

The ex-Bill Barnes car and the ex-David Rugh car are the same one. I know because I bought the GTA from Bill Barnes and later sold it to David Rugh. However, I am sorry to say that I can't verify the VIN - right now, anyway. I know that I came across a document a year ot two ago that had the VIN on it. But I have been through all of my files TWICE now and I can't find it. I will keep looking. The car came with some cool documentation, including the Certificate of Origin and a complete set of factory blueprints. I had also applied for and received a title from the state of Tennessee for the car. I wanted to keep the C of O to get a title, so I just applied for a lost title. But all of that documentation went with the car when I sold it to David Rugh.

Here is some info on the car:

Rasy Feezell told me that Bill Barnes had an Autodelta GTA that he would probably sell.(I had purchased the Autodelta Ti Super that won the 12 Hours of Marlboro from Rasey, drove it on the street for a couple of years and then sold it.) At the time I heard about the Barnes GTA, I was Service Manager at the Alfa dealership in Nashville - the one Madison Smith owned (who had himself raced an Autodelta GTA Jr. in SCCA C sedan.) After striking a deal with Bill Barnes, I borrowed the company pickup and trailer from Madison Smith and drove over to Raleigh, NC to get the car. Bill and I pulled it out of his back yard, where it had been sitting for some time. The engine was in pieces in his spare bedroom.

Here is what Bill Barnes said about the car: Alfa let out word to Alfa racers in the US that it was coming to Sebring in 1966 with several GTA's and that it did not want to take them back. They wanted interested parties to come to Sebring and bid on and buy the cars to race in the US. Bill Barnes got Caeser Cone to go with him and go together on a car (Bill passed away, but Caeser vintage races Alfa's now - he might be able to provide info on the car). Anyway, Bill said that he picked out one particuler GTA because it appeared to have most of the Autodelta goodies on it, plus he said this one car has some trick experimental 45 DCOE Webers on it.

According to Bill, there were 5 GTA's brought over to Sebring. (I think that is the number he stated. Remember, this is 30 years ago now. But I do recall that he said there were several cars.) But, interestingly, they were not all prepared the same, or with all of the Autodelta goodies. In fact, as I recall, he said that one of them did not have a sliding block, even though that was pretty much standard equipment on cars prepared at Autodelta at that time.

After the race, he was high bidder on the car he wanted, so he and Caeser took it home to Raleigh. Bill said that the trick Webers had been pulled off the car and replaced with reguler 45 DCOE's before they released it to him.

As soon as I got the car back to Nashville, I called Don Black to get info on the car. Don said he was sure that the Bill Barnes car was the one that Rindt won in. I felt that it probably was not "the Rindt car" but Black was sure that it was Rindt's car. I think maybe Bill Barnes had said he thought it was the Zecolli/ DeAdamich car. Another thing: each Koni shock absorber did indeed have the car number on it, but that car number on the Konis on my car was different from what I thought the Rindt car number was. I have found a copy of the ad I placed in Auto Week when I sold it, and I advertised it as the Zecolli/De Adamich car. And FWIW, I have pictures of the car when I raced it at the SVRA race at Road Atlanta, and I gave it number 35, obviously because I thought it had been car #35 at Sebring.

After racing the car some in SCCA (and at least one race for Trans Am-type cars that NASCAR had back then), Bill hooked up with his buddy Amos Johnson (Who raced Gremlins successfully as Team Highball in the IMSA RS series) to prepare the GTA for the IMSA GT class. After painting the car white with green trim (Team Highball colors, acording to Bill), they determined that it would not be competitive in IMSA GT. For the first couple of years of IMSA, there was no GTO/GTU separation, just one GT class. So they bandoned the idea.

After I got the car back to Nashville, I had my best tech put the engine back together, and I had it repainted back to Alfa red.

I have three sets of pictures of the car. One set is of the car as I pulled it off the trailer after returning from Raleigh with my new purchase. The second set is of the car when I first got it running. And the third set is at the Road Atlanta SVRA race. I will try to donwload the pictures to the Alfa BB this weekend. I think I have done it successfully before. I also remember having fits with it, too.

If Rindt was indeed assigned to one car, and then switched to another for the actual race, it would certainly explain the confusion that goes back decades.

Ted Atkins
(OldAlfaGuy)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Sebring GTA's

I found documentation that confirms that the GTA I bought from Bill Barnes and sold to David Rugh was 613 006. And since I gave it number 35 at the Road Atlanta SVRA race (I'd say that was in 1980 or maybe 1981), I assume that I believed then that it had raced with that same number at the 1966 Sebring event.

OldAlfaGuy

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I found documentation that confirms that the GTA I bought from Bill Barnes and sold to David Rugh was 613 006. And since I gave it number 35 at the Road Atlanta SVRA race (I'd say that was in 1980 or maybe 1981), I assume that I believed then that it had raced with that same number at the 1966 Sebring event.

OldAlfaGuy
Ted, so this is your old car: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=47303. AWESOME! Can you please post pics on the 613 006 thread? There are lots of us that would love to see it "back in the day".

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
GTA 613 006 - Repainted

This is after I had it back in Alfa red and the engine re-installed.

Notice that the step nose has no "step." THe aluminum had cracked at that crease on both right and left sides, and Bill Barnes had pop riveted a plate over each crack. At the time, I could not find anyone in Nashville who would attempt a proper repair on it, so I had the bodyman just bondo over the whole mess. Please forgive me...they just weren't the priceless gems then that they are today. In fact, I probably bought the car at its nadir.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
GTA 613 006 - Repainted #3

The floor was aluminum. Bill Barnes said it tore every time you drove it. So he mounted the seat (I believe that was the original seat that came in the car from Autodelta) to the cage. Speaking of the cage, that is a full chrome moley cage that Bill installed. I remember he was proud of the cage, especially the rear braces for the main hoop that went all the way back to the rear of the car. He had a cross brace welded in between the braces where they met the rear floor to strengthen that area in case he had contact in the heat of any future battle. It came withoput a steering wheel. Bill had told me that he had given it to a friend. No problem, I ordered that Prototipo for it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
GTA 613 006 - Repainted #4

That is a Firestone fuel cell that Bill put in it.

Notice the cage brace going all the way to the rear of the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
GTA 613 006 - Repainted #6

The airbox is off the car in this shot, but it did come on the car.

The other thing the car was missing (beside the streeing wheel) was the GTA radiator. Bill never could find it in his stuff. And at that point, one could not be had anywhere. So I robbed this one from the GTA I acquired from Bruce Perry. Really robbing Peter to pay Paul. Yes, I had two GTA's at one time. And you would not believe the small total investment I had in them. Chump change today. Less than a decent GTV.

Notice that the cam cover is not correct. I did that. The dish in the correct one bugged me then, so I used one from a Solex car. (And the original one was not magnesium) Also note the gold tint of the head and cam cover. That is Chromate Conversion that Bill had treated the aluminum engine parts with. So I sent him that cam cover and he treated it, too. The engine looked all exotic with magnesium front cover, sump and bellhousing with the gold head and block.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 102 Posts