Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 750 sprint 1959 came with this tie rods. I searched the forum but I could not find anything about these. I have a late parts manual and on the drawing these are faded out.
How long did Alfa Romeo use this tie rods?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hi Frans,

These were the first type of Giulietta rods and ball joints.
The exact date for the change to the second type ones is not shown in the catalogs.
Probably due to the after sales service, the first type did stay listed in the catalogs until the end of the production. They were even in the late 1964 Giulietta catalog.
Only the 101 Giulia catalog didn't list them anymore.

The second type ( with the male ball joints and hollow rods) arrived in 1956 as they were yet in the 10/1956 Alfa catalog and as they were available from 1956 on by Ehrenreich, a German brand of ball joints.
If I remember well, Ehrenreich was an official supplier of those parts for Alfa. Can anyone confirm this ?

So I presume that Alfa mounted the second type on the new cars in that year yet, or maybe they started only after they finished their stock of the early type. (?)
Maybe they mounted the old and new system simultaneous for a while, ... as there is no specific date or chassis number known for a change-over.
My 11/1956 Sprint has the second type ball joints and rods yet.
Perhaps, a former owner of your car has mounted what he could get into his hands when servicing or restoring his car?
If you would change them to the later type, don't throw them away, I'm sure that you would find someone with an early car that could use them. Btw, is the central rod on your car of the same early type or is that already a hollow rod ?

Rgds from Antwerp,

Thierry

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
If I remember well, Ehrenreich was an official supplier of those parts for Alfa. Can anyone confirm this ?
102 and 106 cars for sure had Ehrenreich ball joints that had the Ehrenreich logo cast into the rubber boots , see this thread. When I did some research on the company, I discovered a portfolio of patents on ball joint technology (going back to the 1930s) that pretty much gave them a monopoly for supplying ball joints to all car manufacturers on the globe.

Reactions: alfasprinty

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hi Ruedi,

Thanks for the extra thread.
See here two pictures that I had, one for the Giulietta with the second series tie rods, and one that I found for the 2000-2600 cars.

Rgds,
Thierry

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hello Thierry, we know each other, don't we? You're from Antwerp-Ranst? A long time ago, right?
After some thought, I now know how I got hold of these tie rods. About twenty years ago I bought a very early Giulietta spider rolling body in very bad condition. I owned it for a couple of years but then I sold my warehouse and it had to go. Even though it was one of the first thirty chassis I could not get a higher price than 500 euros for it. I then dismantled it for the parts and the body was destroyed. These are tie rods of that car.
The original steering balls from Ehrenreich were replaced once and the current ones are from Lockheed.
I have the central rod too and will preserve them.
I also have the later rods that belong to my 59 Sprint.

Regards,
Frans

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes Frans,
I hope you stay safe in this strange world we live in at this moment !

About the early tie rods, they probably changed them because the tubular structured rods are much stronger.

Thierry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts