Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some guys here drive these cars and are actually younger than the car (and this part which was changed out an superseded a long time ago by a newer mechanical design in latter years...) :rolleyes: :D

Funny to see a car actually still running one of these (18K original miles 1984...) :eek:

Honestly - I have never even seen one myself...! Should probably keep it!

Oh - and the back-ground... Just for effect...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
most of the stuff i drive is older than me..except the alfa and minivan....as i generaly draw my line for things i like at 1975(deq cut off and my bd)

what in the ____ are those i cant say ive seen anything like that and ive had my hands in alot of cars

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Looks like a hydralic timing belt "detensioner" but not a 12v Alfa type....

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right you are - but it is INDEED an original GTV6 unit still running on an all-original car (well, not anymore...) with less than 20K miles on it!

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Right you are - but it is INDEED an original GTV6 unit still running on an all-original car (well, not anymore...) with less than 20K miles on it!
Keep it. Use it they are much better design than mechanical. The rebuild kit is still available and bearing can be used from 24V tensioner bearing. Andrew can rebuild it for you. Great unit.
I have a brand new on on the shelf ready to go back in mine someday with some super expensive dupont Krytox grease to repack the bearing with. I hope I can revert back.
I have all the parts for that thing in-stock, rebuild kit, feed studs etc and so on.
Jason

Patent for tensioner below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Why don't you put it on my motor!!!

When Hans at Italian Motor Works in Atlanta did the heads on my 2.5, he was showing me some seals he had custom made for the original hydralic tensioner that he said cured the leaks. I think it went around the pushrod in the pictures, might be worth a call, I know he has retired, but he might be able to share his secret on this.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D LOL - A little left-over from the South African victory in the World Cup this past weekend...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts