Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has no doubt been discussed before.....but two of my favorite Italian sportscars, the coveted Ferrari/Fiat 'Dino' 246 and our own Alfa Spider are both afflicted with the same **** disease. The original design on both cars called for small side marker lights, front only, covered headlights (ultra cool), and of course the superior look in every way - bumper set-ups.

The overall 'look' of the Euro models of these cars is way superior. Is it true that 'purists' actually frown upon converting to Euro? I am just a BIG fan of the euro look. Would love to hear others opinions AND also hope to hear from those that judge or opinionate that they should not be changed over - why?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Simon - I agree with you, and plan to move towards a Euro look for my 74 Spider.

This will include deleting the US front & rear side reflectors and adding the small round one (or is it a light?) at the nose, removing the front bumper "nipples" and perhaps mounting them more closely to the body, and perhaps adding the Carrello headlight covers. Dickson

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,057 Posts
To say that the NA versions are nicer is to suggest that Pininfarina is not as good as the Europeans think, but that we know better. I have a 1750 spider with the ugly rectangle side markers-they WILL be deleted at body work time. As for the light covers-YES YES YES....

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I like it, but the experts don't seem to agree:

My car is still for sale and has the "correct" seats going in very soon, but its about double the expert's estimate.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a '69 spider that I have replaced all the cracked (US) lenses with euro lenses: tail lights, front lights. I like the look better.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did he say "in perfect condition this would fetch 6,500$"?

Were I live, a perfect alfa romeo 2000 spider would easily fetch 15,000$

Also calling the spica a horrible system. The system is a gem but not for someone that should drive a miata.
It was apparently good enough for alfa to use in their fastest GTAm racing cars.
I have both a 2000 nord engine with Weber and one with Spica. Sure the spica was a bit trickier to get running properly. Once tuned, the spica wins hands down in terms of power delivery. Smoother running without any flat spots. (both engines are fairly standard)

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Did he say "in perfect condition this would fetch 6,500$"?

Were I live, a perfect alfa romeo 2000 spider would easily fetch 15,000$

Also calling the spica a horrible system. The system is a gem but not for someone that should drive a miata.
It was apparently good enough for alfa to use in their fastest GTAm racing cars.
I have both a 2000 nord engine with Weber and one with Spica. Sure the spica was a bit trickier to get running properly. Once tuned, the spica wins hands down in terms of power delivery. Smoother running without any flat spots. (both engines are fairly standard)
I agree completely.
S3s go for $6500 in good condition; Older cars, for a lot more than that. The seats are an abomination, however.

Also, the number of people that do not understand the Spica system is not indicative of how good it was in it's day. The "reporter" is simply ignorant.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are the small round fender side lights on Euro Spiders really lights - or just reflectors?

Are they reproduced? I did not see any on Centerline or IAP. Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
I never felt the irritation over things like side markers and headlight covers. The shape of the car is the same, so a rectangular marker on the front fender doesn't ruin "the purity of the design" for me.

Of course US bumpers are ungainly compared to their continental counterparts, but since I grew up with the US style, and didn't lay eyes on the Euro versions until years later, that sort of defined my "normal." I like the looks of Euro bumper conversions, but for $DEITY's sake don't just take your US bumpers off! It doesn't look better, it looks like your car's being repaired.

All that said, it's your car, and Alfa Spiders aren't exactly rare, so do what makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
This is my 79 as it is now. My wife just found some photos of the car when I bought it in 1999. Those US bumpers and fender repeaters were uglier than I remembered. I'm sure that Farina never pictured it with that junk.

A car designed by a government bureaucrat is worse than one designed by an accountant.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is my 79 as it is now. My wife just found some photos of the car when I bought it in 1999. Those US bumpers and fender repeaters were uglier than I remembered. I'm sure that Farina never pictured it with that junk.

A car designed by a government bureaucrat is worse than one designed by an accountant.
Do you have a 'before' photo....your car is exactly how they were meant to look! Great spider!

I also agree with all, the US bumpers are absolute rubbish!

...detail, but have you thought of going stainless instead of black on wiper arms and blades? Black looks smart too, but was this a US only thing too?

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
but have you thought of going stainless instead of black on wiper arms and blades? Black looks smart too, but was this a US only thing too?
I used to have a nice set of stainless wiper blades from a GTV but I sold them. Maybe I should look for some more.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are the small round fender side lights on Euro Spiders really lights - or just reflectors?

Are they reproduced? I did not see any on Centerline or IAP. Thanks

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
They do act as indicator repeaters. Their position is particularly useful, as they can be seen by oncoming cars, as you poke that vulnerable nose out into traffic at a T-junction...
Classic Alfa sells the round repeaters for £10.20 here in the UK...

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
They are lights. You can probably get them from Highwood Alfa or Classic Alfa in the UK.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts