Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My '71 Spider is going in for restoration bodywork and paint, and like so many others, I'm tentatively planning to go the "Euro-look" route. I have purchased the small, round, amber sidelights (Carello) from Classic Alfa. These current lights fit into the body with a single round hole, and are held in place with 3 plastic fingers that snap into place after passing through the hole.

It was my impression that the original lights had the round hole for the wiring, but were secured with two small screws passing through additional holes in the fender. Am I right on this? It's also my impression that originals are unobtainium.

For those out there who have already been down this road, what did you use for these lights?

/Gene

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
The snap fingers did not last long on mine. They are now held in with RTV. The body shop did mine when the car was painted. I think that they welded a patch over the old holes and drilled a hole in it for the new light.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ed. Never thought about it, but the RTV should not only secure the light, but also reduce any vibration and shaking, thereby making the fingers last longer also.

/Gene

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
My memory is not so good - I am an old fart, but is there not an indentation in the fender for the rectangular turn signal? That has to be filled in if you want the Euro look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Ed, you're probably not much older than me, and I'm pretty sure your memory is no worse than mine! You're right of course, the rectangular hole must be filled in. All part of pre-paint body work.

/Gene

1 - 7 of 7 Posts