Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I smell another Euro roadtrip coming up in a vintage Giulia. Finalizing route and details. About 6 weeks. Tentative route link. Any good visit ideas? We plan to hit the Mille Miglia as it passes through Tuscany and hit the Alfa Museum just NW of Milan (closed last trip). Should I do another trip blog here like 2010 and 2011 (see signature links)?? Will be taking little Piper, a stock '73 1600 waiting for 3 years for the trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Stelvio Pass

Definite yes on the trip blog.

Couple of suggestions, heading north from Como.

Take the Stelvio Pass, unbelievably spectacular and a lot of fun in a good handling car!

You can visit Lichtenstein and stay over in Lindau, on the Swiss/Austrian/German border.

Then rejoin your original route in Basel.

I'm definitely envious.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The routemap was roughed out to plan the overall duration to book the air. We have two float days to feed back in and major stay adjustments. The route and schedule is now being tweaked on details with study and input. We had planned on taking the Furka pass up from Como into the Swiss Valais, did that in '87 or so in a Peugeot familial break; I'll look up Stelvio. We have done several Swiss passes in the distant past, and 3 in the Dolomites west of E45 from Venice to Cortina to Innsbruck last trip (2011). Plan on hitting WWII sites down the Normandy coast road to St Malo or ??. We love St Malo. We allowed 10 days from Aix to Siena to worm our way down the coast road day-by-day with a few in the middle at Santa Margarita. And 4-5 days in Tuscany up the gut on small roads; watch the MM on the Raticosa or Futa pass 5/20 with a big picnic. Liked the Grand Tour Episode 3 where they took those roads from Siena to Bologna. Gorgeous. Did Florence for a week last time. Getting anxious.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Note that a local club member is picking up his Giulia (white/burgandy/2L) from my resto shop buddies at Italclassic in Alicante in March and doing a limited trip, and the fellow who bought the other Giulia (Dutch blue over tan, 1600) out of Alicante on BAT wherein Italclassic did some maintenance and resto work, is also picking his car up in Spain and doing a brief Euro trip before shipping it home. I leave it to them to advert their trips.

Note two car links above.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What are your thoughts on Sicily, esp southern coast Ragusa etc? I've thought about this.

Reactions: Anfanuts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
George, it's about goals, priorities, time and money. Maybe someday (sigh). Our start is fixed (car pickup) in Belgium which is pretty far from So Italy. I made an Alfa(BB) friend in Sicily and would be nice to visit. But far. Also made one in Bergamo (stayed there a week last time and hit MM in Brescia). The Italian east coast is also supposed to be gorgeous. Plus everyone says "do Rome" but we're not so much into big cities. Ever tried driving in Paris (I have) or Rome?? Others have highlighted Eastern Europe as pretty, friendly and inexpensive (hit Prague in 2010). So many pretty places, so many nice interesting people, so much good food, so much good wine/beer . . . . We also have a big US Grand Tour trip sketched out waiting. (Sigh)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, bought it in Holland via a good friend in 3/2014; been waiting patiently since. Good stock nice driver '73. It has been used an bit, serviced, PM'd and MOT'd so it's ready. We start and end in Belgium, hence the loop. If you follow the two Euro trip links below we've done this twice before - picked up one in Belgium and one in Spain.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Looks like the makings of an epic road trip!

check out: MotorValley Emilia Romagna | Sito ufficiale dei Motori in Emilia Romagna for motor related activities in Italy.

I've listed some thoughts / recommendations from my experiences along your provisional route:

Drive the Col du Grand Ballon, on the way to Mulhouse.
Visit Cité de l'Automobile (the Schlumpf Collection) in Mulhouse.
Bern to Montreux: via Spiez -> Juanpass -> Bulle.
Obergoms to Realp: via the Furka Pass (not the Furka-Basistunnel).
Milan = Alfa Museum (obviously) and the Mille Miglia Museum in Brescia.
Bologna = Ferruccio Lamborghini Museum. (museolamborghini.com) or Ducati Museum?
Stop in Spezia, take a train to Vernazza (Cinque Terre).
Detour from Menton to Sospel and drive the Col de Turini.
Avoid Saint Tropez (its a nice place but traffic is a nightmare)
Between Nice & Orange - Detour through the Parc naturel régional du Verdon and over Mt Ventoux.
Paris = side trip to Versailles?
St Malo = visit Mont Saint-Michel
Caen = impressive WWII Museum and side trip to Arromanches-les-Bains? (Mulberry Harbour)
Stop in Hon Fleur (near Le Harve)
Calais to Bruges - Detour via Ypres (Menin Gate)
Between Antwerp & Lier - visit Guy Moerenhout's Abarth Museum?

Have fun...

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like the makings of an epic road trip!

check out: MotorValley Emilia Romagna | Sito ufficiale dei Motori in Emilia Romagna for motor related activities in Italy. << Great site!! >>

I've listed some thoughts / recommendations from my experiences along your provisional route:
<< Anfanuts >>

Drive the Col du Grand Ballon, on the way to Mulhouse.
<< Near where we are staying for a few days. Added POI.>>
Visit Cité de l'Automobile (the Schlumpf Collection) in Mulhouse.
<< Passing by, added POI. >>
Bern to Montreux: via Spiez -> Juanpass -> Bulle.
<< From Zermatt - Complicated. Open?? Or via Lotscberg train/tunnel, or back up Rhone valley and take Grimmelpass?? >>
Obergoms to Realp: via the Furka Pass (not the Furka-Basistunnel).
<< Done long ago but will do again now but maybe Simplon as half as long/time. >>
Milan = Alfa Museum (obviously) and the Mille Miglia Museum in Brescia.
<< On the plan, closed last trip. Stay in Rho? >>
Bologna = Ferruccio Lamborghini Museum. (museolamborghini.com) or Ducati Museum?
<< Modena Ferrri, Maserati and Lambo. Booked in Modena for Ferari.>>
Stop in Spezia, take a train to Vernazza (Cinque Terre).
<<Did the coastal boat tour and visited Vernazza, but will do some train and hiking this time out of Santa Margherita. Al so already hit Pisa and Florence for a week. Staying near Lucca in Montecello for 4 nights.>>
Detour from Menton to Sospel and drive the Col de Turini.
<< Noted as POI. >>
Avoid Saint Tropez (its a nice place but traffic is a nightmare)
<<Check>>
Between Nice & Orange - Detour through the Parc naturel régional du Verdon and over Mt Ventoux.
<<In-laws lived in Viens, did this whole area extensively over many trips.>>
Paris = side trip to Versailles?
<<Been to Paris many, may times, even lived there for a while on work, Versailles a half dozen times.>>
St Malo = visit Mont Saint-Michel
<<Been 3 times. Focus on WWII sites.>>
Caen = impressive WWII Museum and side trip to Arromanches-les-Bains? (Mulberry Harbour)
<< We plan on hitting WWII sites on the coast hugging D-routes, so yes. Added POI.>>
Stop in Hon Fleur (near Le Harve)
<< Added POI. Looks cute. Staying at Le Tourqay.>>
Calais to Bruges - Detour via Ypres (Menin Gate)
<< Noted POI but taking northern route so may be out of way.>>
Between Antwerp & Lier - visit Guy Moerenhout's Abarth Museum?
<< Dito above. out of way. Maybe while in Lommel??>>

Have fun...
Nick, nice, wow, what a great list of suggestions. Keep 'em coming guys. We've done nearly half that list but we are investigating the rest now! This is about our 30th trip to the continent, we've lost count. The MM just updated their route a bit and it is apparently NOT going over the Futa and/or Raticosa passes but the "Abetone" on a route north further west. I am trying to get the specific route to replicate it up from Siena as we turn in and north from the coast. Since we will be going in low shoulder season we do not anticipate that much traffic or hotel availability problems but are booking longer stays ahead of time. The IT/FR coast drive from near Aix to Sienna we've allowed 7 slow days (+ 3 at Santa Margarita) with lots of cafe stops. Hope this is prudent. Took the Autoroute/Autostrada from Aix to SM last trip and looked down between tunnels enviously at the Departmental road and towns.

PS: we are going counterclockwise to make 5/20 at the MM.

·
Registered
361 Posts
PS: we are going counterclockwise...
Oops, I traced your route in a clockwise direction.

You've certainly done a fair share of European travelling already!

I normally do a Euro road trip each year in May, but this year it will be a bit later, - maybe end of June...

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got a lot of good input form Fred Frey on route suggestions and navaids.

A few questions:
1. where to stay around Rho to visit the Alfa Museum (coming from Modena area),
2. and how long to budget at the museum, and,
3. where to visit for a few days around either Lake Como, Lugano or Maggiore, and this is tied to,
4. Furka or Simplon pass headed toward Zermatt (assuminmg open 28 May)?

Thanks.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nick, Thanks so much for the thoughtful list. Wish others would chime in. I marked status on your list above in my 2/8 copy/paste in <<xxx>>. Great suggestions. Moved the ball ahead in planning to 20 yard line. Detailing FR/IT coastal route and stays, and all route POI's. Still fiddling with some options and route details. Changed from Grimmentz/Valais (did 3 times) to Zermatt. Since we moved to Lago Orta from Lake Como, we are thinking about Simplon pass (if open late May) versus Furka but I speak heresay here as the Furka is AWESOME. See comments above.

See if these open, I converted to G+ MyMaps at Fred's suggestion but need more maps and layers for all the info.

Ph 1 - Lommel via Normandy to Toulon - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U7uJfaz_amxRx0RWUTTcmhcj7kw&usp=sharing

Ph 2 - Toulon via coast to Livorno - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JpQYeDClCegyfW2CXiV7nSSBmTY&usp=sharing

Ph 3 - Livorno via coast to Tuscany to Lago d'Orta - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vm-HqW-J6YkcfM15LQCjMAdii_8&usp=sharing

Ph 4 - Lago d'Orta via Zermatt to Lommel - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CBmObNk-Xpx8Dcjg_-tFP_Gppws&usp=sharing

Unfortunately you cannot put the level of detail you need for a LONG trip on one map as G+ has layer, directions and POI limits and gets very balky and stops. Fred has been invaluable in guidance but I've been a slow learner so I keep having to divide maps. 10 layers is the limit and 10 locations in a layer. I've maxed POI's too. Thanks Fred.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
That Giulia is a beauty !!

We were in Italy in November and I can say with confidence to SKIP ROME !

It is filthy and run down compared to our previous trip there. Also, lots of problems with refugees, crime, unrest.

Other than that, it's a peach !

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are avoiding all big towns these days. Sticking to small roads, villages and countryside for the most part. For those reasons you cite and traffic, cost and parking. I can see a future canned trip to Rome for hitting southern Italy, Naples, Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento, Sicily and up the the east coast and back. Maybe two weeks renting a Giulia. The car is just a nice driver. Been sitting on it for 3 years. Dunno what to do with it when the trip is done. Cheers, B

·
Registered
361 Posts
Satnav files.

Check out 'Tyre to Travel' for preparing routes.

TyreToTravel -

I used this software for last years trip & I will certainly use it again....

It has route planning & waypoint insertion methods far superior to that of google maps.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nick, You can see I digested your route suggestions thoroughly. Thanks. Fred swears by G+ but it has its limits. He downloads that to a tablet for nav aid. I have a TomTom and formerly used that software in 2010/2011 but that was 2 PC's ago and I don't know if it is compatible with Win10 from XP. It looks like this integrates with TomTom. Will check it out. How do you manage a data plan on your Euro trips?? More accommodations have WiFi but I got so tired of hunting down WiFi locations in the past.

All - is the Ferrari museum worth it and what about the "brother" Enzo Ferrari museum near Modena??

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What are your thoughts on Sicily, esp southern coast Ragusa etc? I've thought about this.
George, we considered this but coming from Belgium we already have a schlep. It would add at least a week to do right. I can see a future canned trip to Rome for hitting southern Italy, Naples, Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento, Sicily and up the the east coast and back to Rome. Maybe two weeks renting a Giulia.

·
Registered
361 Posts
...I don't know if it is compatible with Win10 from XP. It looks like this integrates with TomTom. Will check it out...

I'm currently using Tyre on Windows 10. Haven't tried it on a tablet... It integrates well with TomTom.

For me, the main advantage of Tyre is that the same route can be distributed to users of different brand satnavs.
(I use TomTom, but most of my friends use Garmin). In the past we've has problems where 2 guys enter the same destination in
their tomtom/garmin satnavs, and get different directions on how to drive there...

The other issue with using Google maps arises when planning a trip now (winter time) for driving in summer time.
Many of the alpine passes are closed at the moment (February) and Google maps 'knows' this so it refuses to draw a route over them!

..How do you manage a data plan on your Euro trips?? More accommodations have WiFi but I got so tired of hunting down WiFi locations in the past...
As for data plans, I'm UK based so cheap data is readily available in Europe as an 'add-on' to my smart phone. (50Mb per day for £1)
More than enough for my purposes. Perhaps buy a European mobile phone on arrival.?...

I also rely on WiFi in the hotels, although my experience is that this can vary wildly from excellent fast internet connection to
absolutely useless depending on where you are. I don't book hotels that do not have free WiFi, but these days - its not the 'end of the world' if
that Wifi turns out to be a bit unreliable!

Facebook will survive even if I'm not on it for one day... :grin2:

PS: I'm also old enough to know how to use one of these
9780749576424_Z.jpg
if all else fails... :wink2:

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Looks like an excellent road trip and a great car to do it in!

Regarding mobile data. From the 15th of June within the EU roaming won't cost anything besides your normal phone costs. So if you buy an EU sim card (with data...) you'll be able to use it anywhere in the EU without additional costs. So you're not limited to special sim cards specifically for the whole of Europe or add-ons.

1 - 20 of 287 Posts