Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day Alfisti:

Would anybody know where I can purchase Euro pipes that will fit to a factory US version manifold. I was told by our friends across the pond that their Euro pipes will not fit. The flange from my current CAT section, which I plan to delete, has the following shape. I was a little confused, but then realized that the Euro versions GTV6's do not have a CAT section, hence the differences in manifold lower flange and anchoring points of all 3 sections as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tony

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Contact Heavy Metal Alfa, last time I was there he had a pile of them. Hope he didn't get rid of them?
Better than headers as far as I concerned, what a sweet sound and better power. Got them on my 84

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Good day Alfisti:

Would anybody know where I can purchase Euro pipes that will fit to a factory US version manifold. I was told by our friends across the pond that their Euro pipes will not fit. The flange from my current CAT section, which I plan to delete, has the following shape. I was a little confused, but then realized that the Euro versions GTV6's do not have a CAT section, hence the differences in manifold lower flange and anchoring points of all 3 sections as well.

Tony
Tony,
Your friends across the pond are wrong in this case.
You can absolutely use euro down pipes on your US or North American car. If you look at the US/NA exhaust setup, you'll see that there's a spacer between the manifold and the ball-type flange on the catalytic converter, with long studs. This "converts" the flat flange to a ball/socket design.
To run the euro down pipes, simply remove that spacer and replace studs with shorter/use bolts. The gasket is the same. Euro down pipes use a flat flange rather than the round ball. The first leg on the euro down pipe is slightly longer than the US setup.
It sounds like you are planning on removing the catalytic converter on your car. If you decide you need to retain a legal exhaust system, there are other options that employ a catalytic converter AND make more power than the stock unit.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Rob mine look like DUAL Cats IAP redesigned them to look like a DUAL Cat setup. It's been fooling the inspection stations for over 15 years.
They look at them, and they put a ripple in the resonators to make them appear as CATS
Even has the O2 sensor hookup. What a sound!!
Rob your correct had to replace my exhaust manifold bolts, found them at my local hardware store. They are there take my word for it.
Just go to the NUT&BOLT section and there will be Metric Exhaust Studs! Had down pipes in 4 cars. Just 1 left me 84.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob- thanks for clarifying- I noticed the spacer, but was not sure if a flanged unit would make it all the way up there with it off-pretty tight fit if you ask me! I want to keep the exhaust stock, so I purchased rear and center sections (IMASAF) from a German supplier (go figure, buy Italian from Germans). I cannot locate the stock CAT section anywhere, so I figure my other option is to go Euro pipe to the manifold. To complicate things, I believe my new center section was designed for Euro pipes since it does not line up with present CAT section, so I will definitely be dealing with fitment issues. Before ordering these parts, I assumed that removing 5 bolts and installing 2 sections would be a cake walk, but I guess the Alfa newbie in me bit me in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Always Lots of F'in Aggravation. Nothing is easy, it just looks easy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfasrule you are so right! Spent 5 days dressing the flange bolts on the rear discs-managed to get them off without shearing any of them- but geez no room to manouvre!

Racingswim2006- do I need to remove the studs from manifold before removing spacer or will spacer just fall off? Talking about those studs, will they come off without breaking-pretty rusty up there. or do I need to give them the disc flange treatment? How about the O2 sensor- will it matter that it sees only one side of the exhaust?

Grazie

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
PB-Blast them for a few days and wire brush, heat them they'll come out, be genital and patient, Feel the Force. Go to the Hardware store and get the shorter studs. They are there!
My O2 sensor only sees one side of the exhaust, since it doesn't matter cause I unplugged it, need more fuel for those S-CAM's in my 2.5L. Me 84 Flies! Miss her it's been a few years since I drove her. The spacer should come off! PB-Blast it for a few days.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Hi Tony,
I have a stock 1985 European GTV6 located in Montreal. Send me PM if you want to come by and take a peak. It is in storage on the ground though.
Cheers, James

·
Premium Member
13,096 Posts
I had Euro down pipes on my Milano Verde and they fit fine but the ground clearance was not so good. They started to look beat up after a few weeks. My CSC headers on the GTV6 ( with dropped spindles) have no dents.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, thanks for all your smart comments. Having already purchased 2 sections of stock exhaust, I have decided to go with the Euro pipes. I will post a sound bite once the job is completed.

Tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tony,
Your friends across the pond are wrong in this case.
You can absolutely use euro down pipes on your US or North American car. If you look at the US/NA exhaust setup, you'll see that there's a spacer between the manifold and the ball-type flange on the catalytic converter, with long studs. This "converts" the flat flange to a ball/socket design.
To run the euro down pipes, simply remove that spacer and replace studs with shorter/use bolts. The gasket is the same. Euro down pipes use a flat flange rather than the round ball. The first leg on the euro down pipe is slightly longer than the US setup.
It sounds like you are planning on removing the catalytic converter on your car. If you decide you need to retain a legal exhaust system, there are other options that employ a catalytic converter AND make more power than the stock unit.
Good luck!
Hi, I have an 86' GTV6 you mentioned that spacer inbetween the headers and the header back exhaust system. Through actions that I would rather not talk about, I have managed to lose that. Do you know where I can buy a new one?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Akilljoy-unfortunately I never did install the Euro pipes instead decided to go with a Magnaflow Cat section, thus retaining the original spacers. I would start a new thread and ask the board members if anybody has one in their parts bin. These spacers were installed only on US version GTV6 Alfas to accept the ball joint flange from the CAT section. Your other option is to remove the spacer from the other exhaust manifold and have some one machine it-not very complicated to do.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Akilljoy-I can send you a used spacer-no charge- just pay the shipping. Send me a PM with your address. The gasket that fits between the manifold and the spacer is available from Centerline (# EG 734)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Mongrel GTV-6 Exhaust ... courtesy of Callaway?

Good day Alfisti:

Tony
Allow me to jump onto this thread topic, as this post has a nice photo of the Type of OEM CAT-to-header flange I see on the Magnaflow CAT I just received today for placement on my 1985 GTV-6. Only, it does not mate to the headers. Mine is #4 of the prototype Callaway Twin Turbos, and the manual states that except for the headers, "the remainder of the exhaust system components are stock". What was on the car are all AR-stamped components, and I expect them to be as-delivered.

The CAT section I have is stamped AR 113 10 35 010 00 and 11.01.683.3010.00 V.86 , although the Callaway manual's diagram (copied from an Alfa diagram, states 11669.30004.01. Photos attached show the stock and the Magnaflow side by side, the flanges, and two photos showing how the two header connections are at different elevations. And the mating surfaces are flat-flanges with an elevated sleeve on the CAT side that captures a relatively thick, flat gasket.

When I recently rebuilt the turbo kit, I sourced two new gaskets from DiFatta, and no questions were asked, so the flat flange seems to be common? Or was that only on the euro versions? Quite confusing.

The drivers side header has a 3" add-on section that does not show on Callaway's engineering drawings for the header, and that does not work for the Magnaflow, which seems to expect both header connections to be at nearly the same elevation.

If I delete the added header section, it might match up with the proper elevations, but I am hesitant to jump into trying to loosen those bolts after 30 years while it is still in the car, and I'd rather not try to detach it from the turbo port. Considering racingswim2006's quoted discussion, would I then need these flat-to ball adapters?

One good option is to simply forget about replacing the cat, as it has no leaks. I expect its not doing its job, though. No emission checks here in CT at this age, but I don't want to be stinky...

Looking for any possible suggestions or solutions.

- Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Akilljoy-I can send you a used spacer-no charge- just pay the shipping. Send me a PM with your address. The gasket that fits between the manifold and the spacer is available from Centerline (# EG 734)

Thank you so much for the offer. I actually aquired one from a used Alfa parts guy on the west coast. It's been put together for awhile now and much quieter. Again thank you for the offer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Akilljoy-unfortunately I never did install the Euro pipes instead decided to go with a Magnaflow Cat section, thus retaining the original spacers. I would start a new thread and ask the board members if anybody has one in their parts bin. These spacers were installed only on US version GTV6 Alfas to accept the ball joint flange from the CAT section. Your other option is to remove the spacer from the other exhaust manifold and have some one machine it-not very complicated to do.
Thanks for the advice, I got one from a west coast parts guy. I also got the magnaflow cat back exhaust system. I'm just waiting for the monies to have a professional weld it up and make it side exit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts