Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is probably more of a fantasy post than anything else, but I couldn't find info on this with a quick search.... for those of you who've done the chrome bumper conversion to your US-market coupe, how hard was it to source the bumpers, how expensive was it, and are they bolt-in, or did you have to make adapters? The spider requires some fancy-pants work, just wondering if it's the same for the Alfetta.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chris: I have Euro bumpers on my US Alfetta Coupe. The bumpers are now very had to find and are often dented as they are fairly fragile. They are not bolt on by any means, but the adapters are not difficult to make. I have excellent blueprints for making these adapters, but I have no idea how to put these on the BB. I can send you digital pictures of my car with the bumpers, but I don't know how to put these on the BB either as I am not computer literate. You can email me if you wish. Dave Strus. [email protected].

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I found that Chris had some at Highwood Alfa in England. They are dear, but I suppose if one compares buying any bumpers for any car it's probably not too dear. He said they were new (like new? can't recall) and wanted about $800 US for the pair, so by the time you add in freight you are looking at a minimum of $1,000 delivered, likely more. He has a slightly damaged and slightly rusted set as well for less, but my experience is that straightening and rechroming would end up costing more than his good set. He did not sell a conversion kit. I bought a pair of Euro front turn signals from him but when I took a look at the structural work involved because of the US front bumper shock boxes I returned them. I'm going front bumperless for now, maybe permanently, found some cool and inexpensive lights that fit perfectly in the shock box holes and even look like they could have come with the car. For the rear I'm still thinking, maybe a custom bumper or an integrated solution. It's a bit cosmetically challenged back there as compared to the front without bumpers. I just can't justify over $1,000 for bumpers for an Alfetta GT right now- maybe someday?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting... the thing that got it in my head is it seems like I've started seeing more Alfettas with these.... however, I think the car's more pressing problems (minor rust, and getting the suspension safe) will take precedence here. I just figured it would be a good way to get rid of the rusty, broken-from-a-hit rear bumper I have now.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I've gotten several sets (for sedans and for the coupe) from Australia. Depending on the condition, it runs about $1000 - $1200 a set after shipping. Now wouldn't be the time to buy overseas - being that the dollar is Monopoly money at the moment. I got mine when the exchange rate was quite good. Now, clearly I have a warped sense of value, but that price didn't bother me in the least. They look better, and they shed about 150 lbs off the car, and I've never regretted it for a second.
As mentioned before - they're not a bolt-in swap, however, there is a way do do it that's quite simple and easy, using the existing US stock bumper mounts and an aluminum bar, which allows you the option of switching back to U.S. bumpers without any permanent marks. Look at my pics below for a sense of the finished product. They offer zero protection, with the exception of the U.S. piston/shock behind them, but then you're not really concerned about that are ya?;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Euro Bumpers

I converted my 79 last year and really like the look of the stainless bumpers over the heavy US style bumpers. It was not very difficult conversion just requiring some brackets. The bumpers were very hard to find.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Note that U.S. cars can not use Euro brackets that come attached to most bumpers with rivets originally. Unless you plan on converting the front clip bodywork to Euro spec and removing the welded in boxes that accept the U.S. bumper shocks...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Side mount brackets needed

I made the ones that connect from the bumper mounts to the bumper. I was able to find the small brackets that connect the ends of the bumpers to the fender.
Greetings: My recently-acquired 76 GTV has EURO bumpers, but I am unhappy with the mounting methods. The main rear mounts look good and use rivets to make the attachment. But there are no side mounts at the rear, making things a bit wiggly.

At the front, things are VERY wiggly, with nice aluminum main bumper brackets and one single bolt on each side. And again, no side brackets. I feared that it would not stay attached during our cross-country "recovery". http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/picture-room/88151-alfetta-trans-continental-recover.html

I just removed the front bumper, and am attaching a picture of the mount. There was at one time a pop rivet on each adding to the security, but both had parted ways.

I need to find or make side brackets - finding preferred. Any ideas where/how I could come by a set?

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I noticed the same thing with my Euro bumpers, but haven't figured out a clever solution yet. They don't feel like they're going to fall off, but they are a bit wobbly, plus the front bumper obscures the bottom of the chrome heart, and the trailing ends point down. On the other hand, it's not like they're going to protect the car anyways....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
...I realy dig those Camaro bumpers the best. I know it takes some cutting, welding and rechroming, ...
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/69405-alfetta-gt-bumpers.html
Greetings: Yes, I had seen the thread and they do look smooth on the car. My direction a this point is to keep the process as simple as possible, as I am facing a full engine rebuild prior to being able to actually drive this GTV.

I am working on reverting back to stock bumper mounts, as I have a set from a 79 Spider bumper I salvaged. Turns out they extend out about 2" LESS than the ones in the picture. I will have to do a bit of modification, but they certainly would be sturdier and actually place the bumper closer to the body.

- Michael

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Greetings: My recently-acquired 76 GTV has EURO bumpers, but I am unhappy with the mounting methods. The main rear mounts look good and use rivets to make the attachment. But there are no side mounts at the rear, making things a bit wiggly.

At the front, things are VERY wiggly, with nice aluminum main bumper brackets and one single bolt on each side. And again, no side brackets. I feared that it would not stay attached during our cross-country "recovery". http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/picture-room/88151-alfetta-trans-continental-recover.html

I need to find or make side brackets - finding preferred. Any ideas where/how I could come by a set?
Re-Read my post #5 - aluminum bars - super easy and available from every home improvement center (but you'll need to find some bumper shocks).

As far as side brackets - all you need is a long threaded bolt - you can insert it into a black rubber tubing sleeve where it enters the bodywork (to prevent metal on metal contact) and then use a rubber washer against the inside fender, a metal washer next to that - then thread the nut.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my Euro bumpers, but haven't figured out a clever solution yet. They don't feel like they're going to fall off, but they are a bit wobbly, plus the front bumper obscures the bottom of the chrome heart, and the trailing ends point down. On the other hand, it's not like they're going to protect the car anyways....
Roger on the "protect". I am encouraged that I will at least have a chance if someone backs into me - much more of a chance than I'd ever have with my duetto or S4.

I reverted back to the aluminum brackets after trying to get the stock 5-MPH brackets to work. I drilled out and tapped both the center and the lower hole (that was pop-riveted on at one point). Larger SS button-head bolts used, and all is well.

I bought some aluminum bar stock and will make up some side brackets (front and rear) eventually.

Off Topic: what is it with pop-rivets???? yesterday I attended to a sloppy hatch bracket and found that it had been .... POP-RIVETED TOGETHER!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I do hope that this car did not actually go fro 1750 on eBay

I like them and they shave 100 lbs. from the car.
Is this not the car in this week's eBay auction 330246843554 ??? I had seen it a bit too late, but it would be a shame if it changed hands for so little.

- Michael

1 - 20 of 21 Posts