Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soooo confused. My car is a Mk 1 1750 that has a Veglia tach and a Jaeger speedo. Both are in metric units. The cap in the speedo gauge spindle is old while the cap on the Veglia tach seems newer. I have Veglia temp and fuel gauges on my console. What is the correct brand of tach and speedo for my car? Would they have used the smaller console gauges from a different manufacturer than the larger dash gauges? Thanks everyone for providing this amazing resource.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Both are correct, but if all the gauges are Veglia and just the speedo is Jeager i would think that some PO has change te speedo for Jeager one, perhaps the original one didnt work anymore and was swapped

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
What is the correct brand of tach and speedo for my car? Would they have used the smaller console gauges from a different manufacturer than the larger dash gauges?
I believe that Alfa did intermix Jaeger and Veglia gauges, though when they did, the two large gauges would have been the same brand, and similarly for the three small gauges. I'm sure someone can cite an exception to this rule, but I believe it generally applies. As quadrifolio wrote, if your tach and speedo aren't matching brands, one was probably swapped sometime in the car's life.

Other than the drivetrain and suspension, Alfa manufactured little in-house. Since they were buying components from so many outside suppliers, sourcing gauges from two different companies was no big deal.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
315 Posts
Swap you. My Jaeger gauge (Australian delivered 68) is in MPH. We have had KPH since around the same time. I agree, yours must have been swapped out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back through some older service receipts and the kilometers seem to be accumulating in a normal progression. It's my thinking that the speedo was original while the tach was added (explains the newer center cap design). Now that I understand Alfa interchanged both brands, I can assume my theory works. I ordered a gauge out of Europe yesterday. My car is a Euro car so I want to keep the units metric. Thanks again everyone for chiming in.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I went back through some older service receipts and the kilometers seem to be accumulating in a normal progression. It's my thinking that the speedo was original while the tach was added (explains the newer center cap design). Now that I understand Alfa interchanged both brands, I can assume my theory works. I ordered a gauge out of Europe yesterday. My car is a Euro car so I want to keep the units metric. Thanks again everyone for chiming in.
I would be interested in swap a mile one for a metric gauge

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Quadrifoglio, I found a gauge yesterday. While I was searching I found another on Ebay that might work for you. Give it a look and see if it's still available.
Best, Will

1 - 8 of 8 Posts