Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are problems with Ethanol in today's gasoline and our old 85 spyders. I know that Ethanol is a great cleaner and its presence in our fuels systems could be a problem for the injectors. After trouble shooting my car, I realized that all the injectors are not spraying yet I have pressure at the rail, spark at the plugs and light at the Injector connectors. I pulled an injector out and there is no spray from the injectors. If i use the Starting fluid (in hte plenum) the car starts and runs fine. SO I am wondering, could ethanol have damaged my injectors?

One more question the Milano's injectors or the 164's injector are the same as the l-jetronic injectors. I recall reading that one of those car have same injector as the spider.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've used E10 (10% Ethanol) in my 85 spider for the past 20k+ miles without injector problems. Not sure what previous owners would have used. It seems to me the Ethanol would help keep the fuel system healthy by absorbing any condensation in the tank in cooler weather, but I really don't know for sure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alchool typically absorb moisture from the air, in the case of injector it would translate in oxidation in the injector parts.The problem is not as felt to those who frequently use their cars, and fresh fuel is added to their tanks. In my case my car has been sitting for a while, so it is possible that my gasoline has been contaminated with water from the ethanol, never mind the gas station supply.

At least this is what i have research since this morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts