Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, apologies to papajam if I'm in error here....I'm not trying to criticize your excellent work in any way. I just want to make sure the diagram is 100% accurate, and satisfy my own curiosity. :)

Been chasing down non-functioning buzzers, lights, and some other weirdness (see this thread), and my car's wiring doesn't match the diagram. The wiring in question looks unmolested, but either way I don't see how the seatbelt warning can work (or rather, stop working) the way it's shown in the diagram.

On the cluster of warning lights, there is a pink lead that provides common voltage, and a black lead for common ground. Some lights get common voltage and their grounding is switched by the relevant device, others get common ground and voltage only comes when the relevant device is triggered. The problem: the diagram shows one of the pink (voltage) lines going to one side of the seatbelt light, and the other side of the light connecting to the red wire that goes to the seatbelt device, and also to the seatbelt buzzer. On my car, the seatbelt device actually puts voltage to the red wire, sending voltage to the buzzer (and, therefore, the light as well). So the seatbelt light needs to get a black (ground) wire, not a pink (voltage) wire. From the diagram it looks like the red wire must be getting grounded by the seatbelt device, but if this were the case, the buzzer/light would stay on as long as the seatbelt was unbuckled, because the red wire would always be grounded through the buzzer's ground (through the seatbelt switch). Hrrmm hope that made sense. :p

Anyway, there's actually one more black wire than what the diagram indicates, the one that goes to the seatbelt light. There is no stand-alone pink wire to the EXH light, this light gets the pink wire that connects to two other lights (brake and oil, as depicted in the diagram). Of course this all is based on my car, maybe the wiring changed in '83? I'm pretty sure the seatbelt wiring has to vary from the diagram though, based on the short-through-buzzer thing mentioned above.

I *think* this is how it's supposed to look:
http://theplaceofcoolness.com/light_diagram.jpg

Am I missing something? Just want to get this info out there in case the diagram is wrong and someone besides me comes to banging their head trying to figure out how this seatbelt warning thing works on an '83. :p

I'm just looking at papajam's diagram right now, I haven't checked yet to see if the factory service manual shows it the same. Incidentally, papajam's diagram has been a HUGE help to me in this project, I've been going back to it every step of the way with my electrical gremlins. Just trying to (possibly) help. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tifosi, no I don't have that particular diagram (got a printed FSM from IAP). Looks like it's wired the same as papajam's. But then he probably based his diagrams on Cardisc and/or the FSM, no? So if the error lies in the original source, everything else will be that way.

Or maybe it's like twoliterlover says, and my car is a "masterpiece" of its own. :D

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Attached is the 83 diagram from the owners manual. This is the diagram on which the color diagram I drew was based. Sorry I don't have the key on my work computer but I'll post it later this evening.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts