Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 73 alfetta with a NOM 2.0 SPICA set up. I got the SPICA tuned last October as it was blowing out bluish smoke upon start up. The car starts fine without any more smoke, but after a while of being driven, the car seems to want to stall. Mainly after a stop and in first gear, the motor seems to be starving for fuel and "bucks" badly, sometimes stalling. Other times it would just cut out at low speeds and die. After it's off for a couple of minutes the problem seems to dissapear and runs fine. Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hmm, may have something to do with engine temp, but I would get a leak down tester and see if you are losing compression anywhere, blue smoke is usually a sign of piston ring wear. As far as wanting to stall, its either fuel mixture or spark issues, but if it stops acting up as it warms up maybe the idle isn't advancing right or the fuel mixture isn't quite up to par. Can you tell if it is misfiring or pre-detonating at all? Unfortunately i don't know much about the Alfettas, hopefully someone who is more familiar with that engine will chime in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5year,

Actually, I meant to write white smoke. The motor had practically no miles when I did the swap, so it shouldn't have any piston wear.

The car starts up fine cold. It seems that it acts up after it's been driven for quite a while, which doesn't make sense. It's not pre-detonating. Just seems to "cut out" either with fuel or spark.

A Litlle history:
spark related? - I have a weak battery that I need to change. Actually I have a slow drain, so after I park it I flip a disconnect switch to disable the battery, otherwise after a couple of days - dead battery - which happened on more than one occasion. How about the coil or distributor?

Fuel related? - Like I mentioned before I had the SPICA tuned last October and it started doing the same exact thing after I picked up the car. Never experienced this problem before. It was tuned by a shop that only deals with Alfa's. Maybe the SPICA needs retuning? Couldn't be a clogged fuel line right? Otherwise it would display the problem when cold too.

I'm trying to avoid having to bring the car back to mechanic as he is far from me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well, from what I know, if the rings are bad when you start the car it blows smoke because it is burning oil, then when it warms up the ring expand more and it goes away. But it sounds like this isn't the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts