Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the March issue of Automobile. In addition to a nice piece on the Giulia Super (p. 24-25) there is a nice article (p. 107-108) on Enrique's black beauty (and since it is black, obviously fast) '84 Spider.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If not links.... scan?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Here's his Spider - and one of Enrique, during one of his slower moments! (sans fast black Spider!)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
hopefully someone can scan it so we don't all have to go to the book store.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Enrique Zuniga Making Us Proud ...

hopefully someone can scan it so we don't all have to go to the book store.
Two options: if anyone has an electronic subscription or scanning from a paper copy. TTBOMK, some paper copies have not been delivered, anyway the person I know that has a subscription has not received his copy.

I did try searching on-line without success. EbscoHost may have it, but I'm not at work so don't have access to our databases because I don't run around with the user name and password burned in my memory.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If we continue to harass Enrique, he might finally do an article on that really kool race trailer he has for the black beautiful spider, that wins the track/autocross events and then the Concours!
Ciao, Joe

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Joe -
You mean this one?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Actually, such trailers are relatively common among the autocross crowd. Most classes allow different variations on "Street Legal" tires (that no one in their right mind would drive on the street). Enrique attended several SCCA Autocross events in Lexington a while back, and maybe that's when the thought of a trailer was planted. The little utility trailers can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot and can be customized in many different ways. Enrique solved the thorny problem of a legal height Spider roll bar by just carrying his on the trailer.

If we continue to harass Enrique, he might finally do an article on that really kool race trailer he has for the black beautiful spider, that wins the track/autocross events and then the Concours!
Ciao, Joe

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
First, thank you Jim and all for this thread and the comments...

Obviously electronic communication is quite a bit faster than traditional print... The Automobile magazine March issue has been mailed to subscribers, but I don't think it has made it to the news stands yet... As Jim ("papajam") pointed out, a link is fine, but not a scan... And as George ("conedriver") mentioned, it will probably be a bit later before the Collectible Classics on-line section is updated with the March article...

Now, let me provide a bit of background on the write-up... The author of the article is Joe Lorio. Joe was looking to do an article on the very popular series 3 Spider, and he got my name from the AROC. When I was contacted by Joe, I was truly surprised, honored and humbled. I really can't thank Brewster ("Brewthack") enough for thinking about my car among st the many great series 3 Spiders that take part in AROC national conventions and local events.

Originally, the photo shoot was to take place in October, but the car was having some maintenance work done, and I asked to have the date pushed back. It was certainly a bit touchy with the weather to say the least, but the day of the photo shoot turned out to be a warm, top-down day - in November!

Since my car was at Col-Gen Motors, I asked Joe to meet there. When I got there, the car still needed some cleaning... Col-Gen is a busy place to begin with, and Saturdays in particular are even more so, with customers who aren't able to come during the week dropping in... The de Gennaro family that owns Col-Gen are also very patient and accommodating with everyone, and the sociable and hospitable Italian reputation is very much alive and well at the shop!

Joe arrived in a gorgeous BMW Z4 and the photographer got there minutes after Joe. We did the photo shoot first and then the test drive. I've never been involved in anything like this before so it was new territory for me. It is certainly serious work, and it was a long day for sure. I knew all along that only a handful of pictures would be selected for the article, but the photo shoot certainly covers every angle and situation one can think of. The drive is also a thorough evaluation as the car is driven so that the driver may experience first-hand how it performs and handles in real world conditions. Of course I was thrilled with the whole affair and it was also fun for me, but I have to say that I was very impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail that I observed from Automobile magazine. They were a pleasure to deal with in every respect. I only wish someone would do one of those "the making of..." episodes so that all could see what it takes to put together one of these Collectible Classics articles.

Best regards,

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bought my copy at the store yesterday. Now, just how do I go about getting it autographed?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Enrique Zuniga Making Us Proud ...

I bought my copy at the store yesterday. Now, just how do I go about getting it autographed?
That's an easy one....attend the AROC convention in Lexington, Kentucky in July or send your copy with someone from your area. I know of several who are attending.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You're funny, Fred...:)...but I do hope you'll make it to Lexington!

Best regards,

·
Registered
419 Posts
Finally had a chance to flip through last night not knowing about the article. What a nice surprise. Lots of alfa action in that issue! Congrats on the article Enrique. Your spider keeps the rest of us S3 owners jealous for sure.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Enrique always makes us proud ...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Beautiful car! :)
Too bad they didn't feature a better-looking driver. :p
Or, because it is one of those rare fast black Spiders, they could have added a picture such as this........;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts