Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looks like there is a great community here. I am just taking the first steps on restoring my ‘74 GTV so thought I should say G’day and show you all my Alfa, since I am sure I am going to be asking for help lots as I restore her!
I am downunder in Christchurch, New Zealand. I have had my GTV for a long time, I bought her in Canberra Australia as a 21 year old back in 1995. It had good mechanicals and a big bag of receipts for money spent, but a pretty tired body. It had originally been Le Mans Blue but had been repainted in Dutch Blue.
I loved the car so much I brought it back to NZ with me when I returned at the end of 95. Unfortunately shortly after this the car was stolen and crashed, causing moderate frontal damage. Insurance paid for the repairs but I thought since the existing paint was not great I would get a bare metal repaint done at the same time. However once the car was stripped the usual multitude of problems was uncovered and as a young man I didn’t have the money to get things done properly. The car ended sitting in the corner of a workshop for a long time with me paying as I could afford it. It also ended up with some very average steel repairs and a lot of filler. Not surprisingly with a few years probelms started to appear in the new paint, bubbles, cracking etc.
Since then the car has spent a lot of time sitting in my garage, it still runs fine but the time has now come to give it the proper restoration it deserves.
The Covid 19 lockdown has given me plenty if time to work on it and as of today the car is officially “off the road”. Here are some pics taken a few days ago. Next post I’ll talk about my plans and post some pics of the problems, and then my questions will start!

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Looks a good prospect for restoration and you have a long term connection with the car. Lockdown has produced a lot of progress on our cars!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Very nice mate I'll watch from the back seat :)

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, nice to see the ANZACs diving me some encouragement on ANZAC day.
Pete, I spent a couple of days reading all your restoration posts a few weeks ago, your dedication and persistence is amazing! Keep going, nearly there!

Any way as to my plans, this is going to be a full restoration with the aim of ending up with a very good, but not concours, factory standard road car.

I was planning on stripping it back to a bare body shell and removing the paint then handing over to a professional to do the body repairs/prep and paint. However after reading these forums I am thinking I am now going to try and tackle the steel work that doesn‘t involve exterior body panels myself (floor pans, wheel well, boot floor etc), and then hand over to a pro for for the more visible stuff. I have never welded before but am keen to give it a go and feel I should be able to develop the skills required to do these repairs. It will mostly be plug welds to replicate spot welds.
I am pretty confident with mechanical work so will hopefully do all that myself. The engine was rebuilt before I bought the car and has not done many miles since, it has good oil pressure and compression so I am not even planning on stripping it down. The gearbox and diff will need attention and I may need some help with these. Suspension and steering hopefully wont present and problems, planning on replacing all the bushes, balljoints etc and blasting/repainting all the component. I am also hoping to do all the interior myself, it will be pretty much all new form the usual UK suppliers.

My shopping list of parts I am going to need to buy is already approaching £3000 (+tax and shipping)and this will probably increase as I find more things I need. Wow, you can spend a lot of money on rubber parts! I am hoping I can have the car completed within 2 years and at a budget somewhere under $20000 NZD but this will obviously be driven mainly by how much i spend on bodywork/paint.

Ok so far I have stripped out the interior and spent hours removing all the sound deadening from the floors. Up until yesterday I was trying to temporarily keep the car drivable so I could drive around some panel/paint guys to discuss the project and find a suitable person to do the bodywork I require, but I cant do this during lockdown and I have run out of things to do so I am now just going to completely strip it. I will worry about finding a professional further down the track.
The there are many spots on the car where the paint and filler is cracking and flaking off due to moisture getting into it when it was painted. I wont be making that mistake this time, I think I will use epoxy primer to seal the metal. Here are some pics.
Next post I’ll show what i found with the floors and boot floor
cheers, Aaron

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
You never 'run out of things to do" on these cars. Your plan seems to be a good one. There are some folk in Australia who have good stocks of good quality used, original parts for the cars, if needed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good luck with the resto....

Have you made any calls yet on the colour?

Le Mans, Dutch ?

There are some great colours available in the range .

Cheers.

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
You're in Christchurch I believe. You must include Auto Restorations when you have your discussions. Just because they are a top end restoration company doesn't mean they will be ridiculously expensive, and you will know it will be done right, first time!
Pete

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys, productive day stripping the car today. Removed taillights, fuel tank, grill, headlights and indicators, bonnet, radiator, alternator and exhaust.

Thanks for the replies.
Pete, yes I guess i can try talking to auto restorations but suspect my pockets won’t be quite that deep however your point about knowing it is done right is taken. There is also Upper Classics in Christchurch which has a very good rep but also may be out of my price range. Another local company Rustorations has apparently recently gone out of business.

As for colour, I am undecided but leaning towards sticking with the Dutch blue (with beige int.). I like the Le Mans blue (with tan), but not as much as I like the Dutch. However got to say Merv, that metallic Pervinca Blu looks SENATIONAL! Was it a factory colour for the 2000 Gtv? Pic looks like a 1750.

Anyway, some more pics of my car. Here is what I found in the floors after a lot of stripping and cleaning.

And now individually:

Front left. This is the worst. It has rusted out around the the drain hole and this has been crudely patched over from the inside without cutting out the rusted metal. I guess this was done back in the 80’s, the patch itself has now rusted through as well. There is also rust holes on the transmission tunnel side. I am thinking the best option is to put in a new fwd floor pan with a joint just in front of the chassis crossmember. There is also rust on the bottom of the firewall, some of this may need to be replaced.

Back left. No rust in this one, just some dents from impacts from below. Should be able to straighten Ok.

Front Right. Multiple patches with ugly welds, also rusted behind the patches on both sides. Planning on replacing as per the other side.

Back right. Patched around seat mounts (crash damage?) and drain hole. Ugly welds, no rust on around the patches but a few small rust holes in the original part on the transmission tunnel side. Thinking of keeping this, tidying up the welds and patching the rusted area.
Now for the boot floor. There was obvious rust in the spare wheel well but when i cleaned up the floor I found accident damage.

oh oh, bog...

·
Registered
765 Posts
so far it looks pretty good, Canberra cars fare better than most. Looking forward to seeing the resto.
cheers Ian

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
It was indeed a GTV 70s colour, although less common. AR-349 (1970-85). My PO liked it so much he used it on my Series 1 car. It is amazing and looks so good in different light.
IMG_0279.PNG

·
Registered
588 Posts
They all look good coming out of the booth. Fresh paint is amazing. Power on, just know putting it together is 3-4x longer as you clean, fix, adjust n put on/take off. I grew up w my Dads 67 GTV and have redone it 3x along the way. I can say if considering redoing the dash, get it started soon as that one part seemed to take longer than any other aspect
Have fun.

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
Chris, not correct. RHD remember. My Series 2 has original standing pedals too.

I don't think RHD ever got hanging pedals. If they did I've never, ever seen one. Even 2000s in RHD have standing pedals.

This car is in New Zealand. All 105s have standing pedals here.
Pete

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Morning.
Googling Pervinca Blu led me to this site last night. Pretty inspirational and some great detail shots.

Thanks for the encouragement Pinshaw, fresh paint is a long way away yet but I will get there eventually. Point taken about reassembly taking much longer than disassembly. I am trying to properly clean as many of the components as I can, so they are ready to re-install before I box them up and put them into storage. I am also going through the Classic Alfa website as I strip stuff and adding missing or damaged parts to my shopping list. Sometimes without doing this you would not even realise you are missing parts, for example yesterday discovered that there is supposed to be a rubber seal around the radiator and rubber seals between the headlights and the trim rings. My car has spent most of its life without these.
Pulled the fuel tank yesterday, any thoughts on safe storage of this? Cap on? Cap off? Should I somehow purge it? It is in pretty good condition, was new in ‘89 and I treated it with POR15 fuel tank sealer back in the late 90s.
Also wondering about storage of brake components? I haven’t pulled them get but was worried about them corroding if they are disconnected and then left with a mixture air and fluid in them?

Aaron

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
Rubber seal between headlights and trim ring ... ? ... never heard of that before.

Had a look at Classic Alfa's site and they are for 101 series (their words not mine) not 105s. They have put them in the wrong place on their web site

Pete

·
Registered
141 Posts
Rubber seal between headlights and trim ring ... ? ... never heard of that before.

Had a look at Classic Alfa's site and they are for 101 series (their words not mine) not 105s. They have put them in the wrong place on their web site

Pete
all 1750s and GTV2000s had the rubber seals. They just got discarded early on many cars.

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, don’t really see what purpose they serve. 10&11 on this diagram.

·
Administrator
12,581 Posts
all 1750s and GTV2000s had the rubber seals. They just got discarded early on many cars.
I stand corrected. Strange since I have never ever noticed them on any car before, but probably not noticeable
Pete

1 - 20 of 82 Posts