Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the 101 Giulia Spiders come from the factory with shift knobs engraved with the 5-speed shift pattern?

I have an old push-on one that I picked up from Andrew that is (or was at one time) engraved, but none offered currently by AHs, AS, CA, CI or OKP seem to be.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As far as I know, shift knobs with engraved shift patterns appeared on US cars as part of the safety requirements, in either 1969 or 1971. I don't think the screw-on knobs used up to 1967 were ever engraved.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Searching the 105 parts on the CA website, I find ACP68 GEAR KNOB - Push-On Style with engraved shift pattern @ $45.42
shift knob.jpg

Before I jump in on this puppy, is it possible to convert this to a screw-on type? And what about the "push down to engage reverse" issue?

My shifter is not attached to my transmission, as of yet. Pardon my ignorance (try not to laugh out loud after reading this next part) but so many things that came with my basket case Giulia Spider have proven to not work with it. How do I know if I have a push-down-to-engage-reverse system or not?

Ray

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The reverse lock-out involves a different shift lever and a different shift yoke. Here is the later arrangement, without lock-out. The shift lever #1 is a solid shaft. It fits over the yoke #10 with a pinch bolt, period.

The earlier shifter for reverse lock-out, used up until 1967, had a spring loaded, telescopic upper portion. Pressure on the knob would slide a rod inside the shifter shaft. A ball was captive at the base of the shifter, to transmit pressure to the yoke. The yoke itself had a pin protruding from its center, which transmitted pressure from the knob to the lock-out mechanism.

If you want it badly enough, I believe you could purchase the engraved knob, remove and discard the rubber bushing, and have a machinist adapt a solid threaded bushing in it. But first, make sure you have the proper shift lever and gearbox to use it!

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yves,

Thanks for the great info and diagrams. I definitely have the "push-to-engage-reverse" shifter. Other than being a push-on, rather than a screw-on style, are the knob apertures of different size or design?

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts