Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my alfa may have finally died. The coolant managed to leak into the oil system, effectively destroying the engine. I was wondering if anyone knew how much a new engine would cost and if someone might know where to get one. I'm assuming this is going to be expensive but I thought I would consider all my options.

If this option is not feasible I will probably be parting out the car.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Destroyed? What's the extend of the damage?

You can always buy a used engine from APE and put in. A 2.5 is pretty inexpensive, a 3.0 somewhat more costly.

Jes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My repair guy said that it would be at least 30 hours worth of labor to just take the engine apart then about $8000 worth of parts.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
your mechanic is over chargeing you!...8k in parts BS!!

odds are unless you were high on RPMs or put ALOT of milage on the engine while water was leaking...you should be able to save the engine with minimal work and parts.......

but youd probably be better off grabbing a cheep 2.5 off ebay for a few hundred$$ and drop it in

·
Registered
302 Posts
A really good 2.5 motor shouldnt put you out much more than a grand. I picked up an entire platinum with broken clutch fork and some rust for less than that. Had only 80k on the clock and a perfect motor.
-TomP.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have 2 2.5 engines in my shop. Both off of EBay and both out of Milanos. One came from a guy parting out a Milano and he said the engine was running when removed. The other from a salvage yard in IN I think. They were acquired about 2 years ago and have been on pallets in my shop/warehouse heated and dry for two years untouched.

I am in Rochester NY, so if you need one let me know. I do not need two of them, or at least I hope I do not. Not sure what they are worth but we could work that out if you need one.

Marcus

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a 2.5 with 55k for cheap

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
My repair guy said that it would be at least 30 hours worth of labor to just take the engine apart then about $8000 worth of parts.
Time to find a new repair guy. 30 hours should get you a rebuild, not just taking it apart. And $8k for parts? Maybe a quarter of that, tops.

A full engine rebuild on one of these, with new everything, should be around $5k, including parts and labor. But as others have said, you're probably much better off to find a decent used, running motor. Most people have trouble giving 2.5's away..

At this point I'd be wondering if there's really anything wrong with your motor, other than perhaps a blown headgasket.

bs

·
Registered
600 Posts
shipping?

Talk of selling engines brings up a question I have been pondering today. I've located a nice Verde transaxle at a good price. Only problem is that it's on the wrong coast.

Anyone know of the best way to ship 193lbs of aluminum and steel 3600 miles? I don't think UPS will even touch it!

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5yearplan and MarcusMM if you guys could give me email addresses to contact you at, I have some questions about the engines. Or if you prefer you could email me at [email protected]. I'm trying to price out how much this would cost and decide if I want to invest the money.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My suggestion is get the 2.5 from someone, and make sure to do the front and rear oil seals and timing belt before tossing it in...ask me how i know!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts