Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the BB and did not find much. Found a little on alfaowner.com, wanted to run by this group.

Before this week, I have not had a lot of continuous run time on the 164. Having done a full service, timing belt, cam seals, etc. as well as finishing the ac replacement, I now have a high pitched whine in proportion to engine revs, regardless of transmission being engaged or not.

Alfaowner site said to not worry about it....I hate not having things right so looking for ideas.

I put my mechanics stethoscope to various areas of the engine and could not discern the source of the whine.

There is no play on the bearings of the water pump, ac compressor, ps pump or alternator.

Engine performs fantastic and no gauge/light indicators are showing anything other than a perfectly running 164.

Thoughts?

Thanks, JP

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
I might suspect the serpentine belt idler bearing. Could be on it's way out. Change it with another idler and see if the whine is still there.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the idea I needed! It is the original one. Thanks, Del.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
When you retensioned the serpentine accessory drive belt to proper spec it may have brought out the weakness in the idler bearing not obvious before. If you fit a new belt then this is even more likely.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is exactly what happened. Belt tensioner never made a noise, put on a new serpentine belt as part of the timing belt and AC replacement so that makes sense.

Thanks to Del for spotting the source and Michael for the follow up confirmation..

Everyhting has been changed out this AM and no whine!!

One day I will remember Occam's Razor....the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one. Even with Alfas.

·
17,388 Posts
When I replace the serpentine belt and/or idler, I adjust the belt tension to just above that required to eliminate the belt screech at a cold start with the a/c turned on. More than that doesn't help, imo. My Gates "Kricket" belt tension checker says that the tension I use is ~ 45-50 lbs. This is lower than the spec, but it works, and I think it prolongs the idler bearing, waterpump, etc, life.

Take the idler you just took out and send it to Jason for him to check and relube with his high temp/tech aerospace lube. Could be he can save it and you can keep it as a spare/replacement. Trouble with these bearings is that the standard lube is not high temp, and dries out after many miles, esp with prolonged high speed hot weather miles, causing rapid wear and eventual failure, due to the clumps of clay left after the petroleum part is gone.

BTW, how many miles/years did you have on that original idler? Was it really the original from '91? Most of us go through at least several of these through the years. I had one "blow up", on a trip to Wisconsin and back, in Nowhere, Wyoming.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Del, thanks for idea to send to Jason, will do that.

It appears to be the original tensioner as I bought it from the original owner and he had good records. No record of replacement until today at 124K miles.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Mr Steve says this is normal :yes: 124K seems good. My DD needs one - OK has needed one since about the 60K mark. So...doing it next week. The pully is bigger than the little 1.3 litre diesel it mounts to! ciao, chris

·
17,388 Posts
"Mr Steve says this is normal, 124K seems good"

Not to disagree with Steve, but most 91-93 164 owners seem to go through several at that mileage/age, esp with the S, turning at a higher rpm most of the time. 124k miles is very excellent, and a little risky in my book.

Never hurts to have a good spare, and the parts to install one (doesn't take much, just an idler, belt, and a couple of tools) at the side of the road. Learned that the hard way.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
lemme try again. Mr Steve says "a day without alfa whine is like a day without sunshine". I am saying 124K is good compared to my DD dumping out at 60K or so. That's all. ciao, chris

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Idler should be replaced every time the T Belt is replaced. It isn't technically essential to do so but, I mean really you're right there with the accessory belt off!

Makes you wonder what else might have been skipped to save a few dollars, still the original water pump for example?

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have records that the water pump was replaced less than 35K miles ago so was saving it for next t-belt change.

No more engine whine....but.....see my next new post coming right up.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I agree with Del. I think the factory spec on the AC/water pump belt of 124lb minimum, is WAY tighter than necessary. I've been running mine at about 60 for the last year and a half. I can't imagine a belt tightened to 124 would not wear bearings quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts