Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I am a proud owner (only three days) of a 1985 Spider Veloce. When I test drove the car the guy fired it up with no problems. When I picked it up he had trouble starting it (engine turned over but would not start). He got it running after about five minutes of trying. He stated that he never had issues starting it since the ten years he owned it. I went back to drive it home and it took forever to get it started. I did drive home shut it down and tried again (wouldn't start). Got it started after several tries on day two. Drove it a few miles no issues. Got home shut it down and it hasn't started since. Since I am extremly new to this car I am not sure where to start. I have the "bible" for Alfa Romeo (a little over whelming) but not sure where to turn. Is there something I should try first.

Best Regards
dmarland

·
Registered
109 Posts
http://manuals.type4.org/ljet/tests/ljet11.htm

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetspider.htm

ha ha "i've never had trouble starting it before!" ha ha ha

good luck.

might try wiggling/spraying all electrical connections with wd40 or something better, taking out relays, spraying/using brass brush on contacts, checking ignition switch connections, checking battery ground strap/connections in trunk...

took me a while, but look at it this way...you will learn a lot!

Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know!!! I know!!! ha! ha! Sure laugh at the newbie. Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct in stating "I will learn allot".

Best Regards
dmarland

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand your pain - had the same problem. Read carefullly the article that is pointed to on highperformance store. There is a TTS thermal time switch and CSI - cold start injector that were bad on mine. If these are not working properly it is very difficult to get it started without cranking the %&ll out of it!

good luck - Mark

·
Registered
373 Posts
Grounds, etc.

Make sure you check and clean all your grounds, etc. There are a number of sensors on the engine that can come loose or an be pulled loose. I have been working on mine and the same thing happen and I realized it was a simple connection.

Good luck!
Bill:cool:

·
Registered
612 Posts
try to jump start it, if it will fire right up, that may mean that grounds are bad or alternator does not charging battery as it should, in either case lower battery voltage will not allow to start it since l-jet is very picky about it...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ground straps/wires

I would check the ground wires that are bolted to the Cold air valve on the passenger side valve cover. Look for the valve with the vacuum lines on top of the valve cover. You should see two wires attached here. Make sure these are clean and tightly bolted down.

Gabriel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts