Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just posted some pics of my new purchase in the pictures section. I am having trouble with the engine and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction. It starts and idles fine, if you try to rev the engine it will splutter and die. As it warms up this problem seems to get better but you still need a lot of gas to move it in any gear. It's not what I would call driveable ! Any ideas ???

·
Registered
758 Posts
THE BEST GUY TO HELP YOU IS .... PAPAJAM ..... HE KNOWS ALL ... DR. GTV .....I WISH HE WOULD OPEN A ALFA SHOP... ABOUT 5 MIN FROM MY HOUSE

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Agreed. Both Papajam and Roadtrip generously offer great tech advice! I am so glad they're on the AlfaBB.com payroll!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys!:p

First thing I'd check would be the dwell and timing. The dwell should be about 60 degrees plus or minus a couple and the ignition timing a few degrees After Top Dead Center (ATDC).

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Agree that ignition timing would be the first thing to check. I'm assuming that your GTV has the first-year SPICA injection system? If so, check that the FI pump timing is correct (since it's easy). Alfa's can run tolerably well with a mis-timed pump.

If this car is new to you and you don't know the previous owner to be meticulous in his preventative maintenance, I'd recommend that you do a complete baseline check on the engine. Recommend, in order:

1. Condition of plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, condensor, and points.
2. Check for corrosion under the baseplate in the distributor. Corrosion can cause a intermiittent loss of ground and may result in mysterious and very inconsistent ignition missing.
3. Point gap
4. Spark plugs
5. Check timing chain tension and cam timing.
6. Check valve clearance (important, especially on exhaust valves).
7. SPICA FI pump timing and belt condition (recommend replacing the belt unless in perfect condition)
8. Replacement of rear and front fuel filters. (VERY neglected by poor owners)
9. Replace the SPICA FI pump oil filter (often VERY neglected. I'll be you'll find a bunch of goo in there. I'll bet if you asked the PO when the last time he changed the FI pump filter, he say "what filter.").
10. Check voltage to the fuel supply pump. Check connections clean and tight.
11. Check operation of cold start solenoid.
12. Complete tune-up of the SPICA Fuel Injection System.

Lots of good free stuff on the web to help with tuning the SPICA system, but the following pubs are really mandatory for any Alfa owner. If you're going to own an unusual and rare car like an Alfa, you either have to live close to a good Alfa mechanic and have deep pockets . . . . or you need to make yourself smart on repair and maintenance of these special cars. Get these pubs:

Alfa Romeo Owners Bible, by Pat Braden
Manual for Alfa Romeo SPICA Fuel Injection by Wes Ingram
Alfa Romeo Repair Manual, by Motorbooks Intl.
Cardisc CD. (Has the original Alfa factory shop manuals as well as some of the owner's manuals)

All are available from Alfa parts suppliers like IAP, Centerline, etc.
You can also get copies on Ebay from time to time. Before you start messing with things, however, READ READ READ. You'll save yourself time and frustration. Any advice we can give on the SPICA system will mean 4-times more to you if you have a working knowledge of the system and understand the theory of operation.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Well, if you check everything on Roadtrip's list, not only will you probably find your driveability problem, you'll have a car that's well tuned and ready to go!

But, my money would be on an expired thermostatic actuator for your set of symptoms. When they are completely toast (no extension at all) they can make a car behave like this.

Joe

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
A bad T/A would cause that kind of problem. When the engine is hot, check the distance between the reference screw and the throttle lever on the back of the FI pump. It should be no more than .019". I'll bet it's alot more than that.

Time to get your tech material and start reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts