Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little search, but couldn't find any threads about this.

I am not familiar with CA smog laws, so I don't know if this is doable or not. Has anyone ever put a twinspark in a Milano, and registered it in CA? Would it even be possible?

Ted

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Ted,

But for a Sports Sedan you need the smog pump. Not gonna fly with the SMOG people if you have a TS in there. But it's a proven upgrade. Even a warmed up 2.0L can't match a stock 2.0 TS. You'd have to go a bit more than mild on a regular 2.0 to match a stock TS. My friend has 1 or 2 spare TS engines. If you are interested, it's just close by your parent's place.

Another friend has an Alfetta GT, for cheap. It needs paint and clutch. Otherwise it seems ok. It runs, but still needs some work. He could package it with a TS if you would like. SMOG it, and then put in a TS.

Do you have to smog in 1/2 Moon Bay area?

Zamani

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zamani,

How are you doing? Been a while since I've run into you, though I have been seeing your brother around more.

Well if I got an earlier Sedan it wouldn't matter...at least it would be closer to the cut off date. My 78 would probably be hard, since my old "smog guy" is shutting down because he doesn't want to go to the new tests...doesn't want to buy all that equipment.

That GT wouldn't belong to Ian would it?

I tried to talk my dad into putting a TS in his GTV...because he was trying to get as much power out of his 1750 that he could...but he decided to keep it in there.

I'm not quite ready to start swapping engines, just researching.

I thought a TS in a Milano might be fun...but guess not in CA :(

Ted

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would bet if a person starts with a car that is already registered and smogged in California, then performs the transplant, when the next smog certificate is required, you should be able to pass assuming two things.

1. The car must not pollute. This means that you will need to use the fuel injection and the catalytic converter.

2. The car would need to look original. Of course among Alfisti, we will all know, but at the smog station, they do not even know what an Alfa is, yet alone what they should look like.

Just my two cents.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
jthraen said:
but at the smog station, they do not even know what an Alfa is, yet alone what they should look like.
I heard that here in California the smog stations now have a list of components that the model and year should have for it to pass the *visual* inspection. I recently went with a friend to get a smog test done and I watched the guys computer screen very close to see if it was true and it was. There was a full list of what to check for (fuel injection, smog pump, CAT, etc..) although this was on a 911 Im sure the same screens would apply for Alfa Romeos. The funny thing about it is that the guy never bothered to look at the actuall items and more or less just checked them off and went to the next screen untill it was complete.

Food for thought!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts