Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The noise started after I got a new clutch. Also got new head gaskets at the same time if that matters.

what should I look for?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Would you describe the noise you hear in more detail? Either way, you probably should call the mechanic that did the work as he would need to check for the source of the noise and eliminate it. Someone probably needs to check to make sure the engine and transmission are not hitting the body (transmission tunnel or cross member under the engine), exhaust or skid plate. Perhaps a motor or transmission mount needs to be replaced. OBTW the 105/115 cars only have one 'head' gasket (if you don't count the 8 -exhaust and intake gaskets).

Mark

·
Premium Member
21,715 Posts
Yeah, if a new problem crops up after work is done, check that work before looking elsewhere.
Was it a shop that knows Alfas?
Andrew

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had some work done and the mechanic must of been leaning on the radiator filler neck. Yes his weight cracked the Soldier and was leaking. I re cord it and had both tanks re soldier. Additional $300! But hay now I know it is good for the next 30 years.

Ken Smith

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you describe the noise you hear in more detail? Either way, you probably should call the mechanic that did the work as he would need to check for the source of the noise and eliminate it. Someone probably needs to check to make sure the engine and transmission are not hitting the body (transmission tunnel or cross member under the engine), exhaust or skid plate. Perhaps a motor or transmission mount needs to be replaced. OBTW the 105/115 cars only have one 'head' gasket (if you don't count the 8 -exhaust and intake gaskets).

Mark
It’s a vibration sound that sounds drive shaft related. It disappears completely under load.

The mechanic charged me much more than he estimated. I would not trust him to be honest. He’ll tell me it’s an unrelated problem that’s not his fault.

Motor mounts are brand new for what that’s worth. I’ll look for rub marks when I put the car on ramps. it should be easy to find them if I’ve got a rub.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
It’s a vibration sound that sounds drive shaft related. It disappears completely under load.

Motor mounts are brand new for what that’s worth.
You may find something like the transmission is touching, or almost touching, the transmission tunnel due to the new engine mounts. If the vibration goes away under load, the clearances must be getting larger.

Be safe under there and use good lighting to search for contact between any drive train related parts and the car body.

Mark

·
Registered
620 Posts
It would be great if you would tell us where you live
and the name of the shop that did the repair.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Common places you get vibrations on the S4's.

Oil pan guard rubbing or hitting the bottom of the oil pan.

Exhaust hitting or rubbing somewhere. Usually in the rear.

The A/C hose that runs from the compressor to the evaporator inside the car. This was a very common problem that Alfa came out with a weight to hang on the line to fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts