Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So I'm removing the engine out of my 70 TI to re-seal and try and make her leak-free.

Question: Transmission has to come off of engine or can they come out as a unit? It seems like the must be done separately because of steering center link......any advice or link to previous thread would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hi, So I'm removing the engine out of my 70 TI to re-seal and try and make her leak-free.

Question: Transmission has to come off of engine or can they come out as a unit? It seems like the must be done separately because of steering center link......any advice or link to previous thread would be appreciated.
They come out together; you drop the steering link before you pull it. You can do it seperately but the only time that makes sense if it's for a clutch or gearbox job.

The question I'd ask though is how bad are these leaks and where are they from? You can chase your tail forever fixing minor leaks on an Alfa engine. If they're minor most times we just live with them; if there is a major one you can generally isolate and fix that without pulling the engine.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
A leak free old Alfa ?
Best to clean everything with the motor in the car and then drive it to see where the leaks are.
If it's from the front, you can change the crank seal with the motor in place.
Anther popular leak areas in front are the base of the distributor, the tachometer drive on the water pump and the bolt that goes up into the head behind the dist..
These can all be fixed with just the radiator removed.
Other fun leaks can be from the rear crank seal, oil pan or the o rings in the head gasket.
These are best fixed with the motor/trans out.
Good luck !!

·
Premium Member
22,406 Posts
You can readily remove one, the other, or both, depending on your needs. I personally don't normally take out more than I need to.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help fellas. I have a leak at the front timing case cover near the alternator and dipstick area. It is quite bad and is making a mess everywhere. It makes its way towards the exhaust manifolds and is making the car smell (bugs the girlfriend more than me). I hope to get this car as leak-free as possible!

Is it really dreaming to have a leak free Alfa??????? I hope not!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Oil leaks are part of the Alfa rust-prevention system.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got em out together, and all by myself! Sure enough all it took was the removal of the center steering link.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Wow, that motor is clean !! ;^)
What leaks ?

·
Premium Member
22,406 Posts
You can make them pretty leak-free, yes.
I wonder what's going on? That's not a common leak spot. Is it coming from the head/front cover juncture? Are the two 8mm head bolts, from underneath, installed? Or maybe the front head gasket o-rings?
Andrew

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andrew, I am fairly sure I can make this guy leak-free. I've always had good luck using Permatex Grey gasket maker on both sides of the paper gaskets along with a little extra on the junctions. Also prepping the gasket surfaces is very important.

Here is a picture of where I see the leak, i had cleaned the area with high pressure water just a few hours before, look at this picture:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, although I have a feeling the motor was recently re-freshed. I think it just needs a bit more careful of a seal/gasket application.

·
Premium Member
22,406 Posts
On pre-2000 crankshafts, these bolt holes go into the engine cavity (half-moon bolt rings are loose behind this boss), so oil will leak out when you remove them.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Andrew, so to re-install them is there anything special to look out for?

·
Premium Member
22,406 Posts
Well, you have to "fish" and align the half moons behind the boss, though if you bolt the flywheel on when you have the pan off, you can see and get at them.
In theory it could leak there, but if the mating surface are clean and flat I wouldn't expect it. Put a little Permatex on.
More common is leaking past the vertical "cigarette" seals on either side of the rear main, or out of the circular rear seal, which you see in front of you in this picture. Some has bent tabs down on the rear cavity cover to retain the seal; they didn't come this way. Normally this is needed if (1) it's an aftermarket seal that won't stay in, (2) you rings are bad and blowby is pushing your seals out, and/or (3) your vent system is not free enough and the engine's making its own vent. Might have been precautionary on the PO's part.
If it wasn't leaking at the rear I would definitely not mess with it.
Andrew

·
Registered
512 Posts
You will need to replace the seal. If you are not sure of who completed the rebuild IMO It is a perfect time to check out the internals.
Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts