Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When reassembling my engine with new chains, I don't understand why the intermediate sprocket has to be in relation (indexed) to the crankshaft sprocket (CarDisk : 2000 Shop Manual p.51). Of course must the crankshaft sprocket and the camshaft themself be timed together but what has the position of this intermediate sprocket to do with this timing process?

Cam gear lock tabs (that secure the big nut onto the cam sprockets) : does someone know where I can find it?
I saw that DPeterson3 spoke about that in a thread dated April 2011 and was going to have some home made.

Thanks for your answer

·
Richard Jemison
7,381 Posts
Intermediate sprocket

Of course must the crankshaft sprocket and the camshaft themself be timed together but what has the position of this intermediate sprocket to do with this timing process?
Nothing...

When the engine is set up at TDC #1 cyl (cam lobes pointed out) , insert the distributor. Regardless of where the rotor is pointing, the cap terminal closest to that position will be the #1 spark plug wire`s outlet. Then it`s only a matter of correctly setting the timing by small movement of the distributor.

Most engine builders use LockTite rather than the metal tabs.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
On the spider doesn't matter.

I suspect you looked at what applied only to the sedan where the intermediate sprocket (as I call it) has a cam that actuates the lever of the fuel pump. Perhaps that should be timed (although I don't know why). I know the timing marks are not all that hard to match up, and I do it also on the spiders although it doesn't make any difference because the intermediate sprocket in a spider is merely a connector point for the short chain from the crankshaft gear on the bottom on one side and on the other side for the long chain on the other side which goes around the cams (and the tensioner). There is a bendix fuel pump run by electricity on the spider (and on the sprint too, by the way). Maybe the manufacturer worried that someone might actually put a spider engine as a replacement in a sedan (sadly, it usually was just opposite). Don't know the timing of the mechanical fuel pump would be so critical, regardless.

You really do need the locks for the front bolts of the cams. Even if you have the small bolts keeping the sprocket itself on the cam there is still danger (as a recent post pointed out) of the bolts threaded into the front of the cams backing out and even breaking through the front casting of the head.

Again, you are right. Mr. Peterson had a bunch made. I was fortunate to get some from him. Maybe he might have a way to get some more made for you. Don't be afraid to ask him. I am sure he would want every Alfa owner able to enjoy his Alfa.

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
I've still got some 102 cam lock tabs. Send me your mailing address. They also fit the left side intake came on the Montreal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts