Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone currently living in 75 land
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what's involved in pulling a 164 3.0 V6 12V motor out and putting it into a 3.0 75 please.
What do you do about the distributor?
Do you have to swap the crank pulley from the previous motor?
164 is an auto, do you simply pull the auto box off and put on the flywheel from the previous motor?
Do air plenum's just swap over?
Thankyou David.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You should try a search on key words. There have been detailed posts regarding this.

Needless to say, there is work to be done. Might be easier to swap a 3.0 75 motor. The answers to your dizzy and crank pulley depends on whether you want to keep the Motronic, or stay with L-Jet. The other posts address the flywheel, & the plenum is not a simple swap.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
There is a complete documentation of how I did it in my Milano (=75) race car. I put in an engine out of a US 164S which is the 164QV (12 valve) in other places of the world. I used the Motronic of the 164 donor car, since it is far better than the L-Jet of the Milano/75 V6 (except the very latest Non-US 75 which also have Motronic). Though, note that since mine is a race car I could retain the 164 distributor location by modifying the 75 firewall a tad - this is not practical on a street car.

Here is a link to where it starts in my Roxanne thread: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/27358-roxanne-budget-milano-75-track-car-39.html#post307503
Make sure to read through it as some decisions changed as the work progressed.

Note that my way of doing it is just one way. I'm sure there are many others, as good, or better... Also, note that there has been a lot of discussions regarding proper flywheel and crank pulley balancing. All I can say is that my conversion has worked without issues, so far.

Jes

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou for your time David.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
what I did was to toss the distributor all together..
if the block is one with oil squirtrers the gears that drive the pump will run fater. also they do not have the slot in them. if you use the set out of the old 3L you might have low oil PSI?

also what I did was use my old crank flywhell and front pully. then everything was kept ballenced.
here is the link for my swap http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-management/26315-vems-install-my-verde.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts