Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Gtv with a s3 spider engine with dellortos.
The car would start and idle beautifully BUT at given times after quite some time of the engine working the engine would suddenly turn off as if i turned the ignition key off-- i would shift into the previous gear trying to start the car while on the way- nothing- i would have to stop and turn the key off and then back on - it starts right away. This gets dangerous while on the highway having the engine shutt off with 150km...
What could it be guys??

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:confused:ignition switch

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Don't know but reason I made the comment is someone I know had the same problem and was going nuts (actually his mechanic) trying to figure why his car kept shutting off. He had to pull off the side of the road and it then restarted. It was the ignition switch. I guess the flicking off and then back on got the bad connections back on track. The car in question in this case was a Honda with 125K miles on it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if this helps but on one particular instance , the engine was running kind of weird rough for a 6-7 of seconds as if not getting proper current

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi GTV-GR,

The problem is most probably a faulty ignition-switch but there are other possible problem areas too. The fact that it is an intermittent problem, makes it quite difficult to locate though.
One question.
When the engine dies in the highway, have you mentioned the tachometer? Is it falling immediately to zero or it's falling gradually according to real engine speed?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man :)
It's falling gradually ,(the tacho isn't electric).
I was in korinthos for 3 days making about 350km , before the trip i tighten the electric connectors to distributor and the coil , no problem yet...but it's got a mind of it's own.
Are you cruising or fixing too?

·
Registered
428 Posts
You should first check the ignition switch. Check for continuity between the terminals of the switch using an ohmmeter when the switch is closed. Try moving the key hard (without closing the switch) to see if there is something weird on the ohmmeter.

P.S. I am still fixing... not so lucky to cruise already as there is a lot of **** happening these days... :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts