Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Harbor Freight 1,000 lb capacity stand comes with a generic adjustable swing arm setup, but I wanted to make an Alfa-unique adapter that holds my 1600cc Duetto engine from the side in order to access the rear. I scrounged an old motor mount and welded it directly to a 1/4" steel plate I bought from Lowe's, drilled two access holes through the plate, and done. The assembly rotates 360 degrees, and I can return the stand to its as-bought configuration quickly if needed for other applications by unbolting the adapter plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That ^ is a bloody good idea and i shall be recreating it tomorrow !! (thanks)
Craig

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Heads Up, I took my engine down off the stand today because as I added significant weight to the block (example, the flywheel and head) and applied torque installing bolts, the engine mount itself began to fail. I found fatigue cracks in the metal and the top of the triangle was pulling away from the rest of the mount. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Jim

I was going to use an old mount but a buddy cut and welded this adapter plate to a piece of pipe. The cutout is for the oul filter boss on the block--(not needed on the later spin on filter blocks). My engine is back in the car and you are welcome to borrow this one. I'm travelling tomorrow for a week or so but can leave it out for you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Frank, but no need right now, I will take a break and come up with an alternative design. As much time as I've been spending wrenching on my son's old Golf GTI I don't have time for the Spider!

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
I follow the lead of another BBer and bought a shot piece of 4" or 5" steel box section and drilled holes in one side for the engine stand and the other side to match the engine mount bolt pattern. Works like a charm and no welding:)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I used the steel box section too from reading it on this BB. Simple and cheap. The steel scrap shop was going to charge me $20 for the piece (which I was happy to pay) and when I told him what I was going to do with it, he just told me to take it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is time for my Spider engine rebuild, here some pictures of my self made engine stand:

After building it I noticed that the two engine flanges are not aligned , so I had to modify it because there are about 25 mm offset.

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
La Voce said:
I took my engine down off the stand today ......I found fatigue cracks in the metal and the top of the triangle was pulling away from the rest of the mount.
When I read your first posting in this thread, it occurred to me that a single motor mount might not be beefy enough to support the engine in a cantilevered configuration. The studs in the block are plenty strong, but I guess the motormount isn't. Glad you caught the problem before the engine landed on your toes!

iachella said:
I used the steel box section too from reading it on this BB. Simple and cheap.
A buddy of mine made one of those box section stand adapters. Here's a photo of it bolted to his engine stand plate. He had to notch it to clear the block. Green paint is optional.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
It is time for my Spider engine rebuild, here some pictures of my self made engine stand:

After building it I noticed that the two engine flanges are not aligned , so I had to modify it because there are about 25 mm offset.
You might not know but you basically made a copy of the Alfa special tool factory stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I didn't know , to avoid any patent revendication... I make mine light blue... (not an Alfa color )

Here is in action...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts