Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the engine side mount adapter that Jim Steck sells(see link) is available anywhere else? I haven't been able to get a response from him(Bonneville time maybe?) to order one.

http://www.autocomponenti.com/tools/Alfa_tools.htm

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,397 Posts
Jim Steck engine mount adapters

I doubt they are available anywhere else, though you could copy the design and have one fabricated locally. Alternatively, you could use the "mount to the bell housing holes" setup that probably came with your stand until Jim comes home from Bonneville land.

The Steck "side mount" adapter is 1,000 times better than attaching the stand to the rear of your engine. For one, the "tail up" orientation makes mounting the flywheel, clutch disk, and pressure plate very easy. But, another big advantage is the ability to orient the engine "nose up" or "tail up" - for a lot of operations (like torquing main bearing caps) this makes it a lot more stable than simply having the engine upside-down (and having the whole engine-stand assembly rotate on its casters as you pull on your torque wrench).

Yea, Jim may be preoccupied, but his stuff is worth waiting for.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
It isn't very elegant, but I bought a short section of 6 X 6 square steel tubing. I drilled 4 holes on one side to mount it to the stand (where the mount to bell housing arms usually attach) and drilled 3 holes on the other side that mounted to the motor mount studs.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My experience with Jim was mixed. First, it's hard to reach him; best bet seems to be by phone. Second, I waited months for the engine stand adapter (he had none in stock and had to make more). He said he was short-handed. After all that time, I got to the point where I had the engine block, head, and everything else ready to assemble. I couldn't wait any longer, so I requested and received a refund. I was left with the impression that Jim is truly a nice guy with just a bit too much on his hands and not enough help. He refunded my payment without question or complaint and wished me well. In the end, I just bolted the block to the stand the normal way and had no problems.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have the engine bolted to a stand in the usual way and have a wood board under the front for support, since the engine will be on the stand for months (years?). Be sure to use good quality bolts (probably a grade 8 or harder) so that they don't snap. Hardware stores usually stock the cheapies (grade 5?).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTV4EVR said:
It isn't very elegant, but I bought a short section of 6 X 6 square steel tubing. I drilled 4 holes on one side to mount it to the stand (where the mount to bell housing arms usually attach) and drilled 3 holes on the other side that mounted to the motor mount studs.
Now this doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, but 2 questions come to mind. First, does the addition of the steel tubing change the stability of the engine/stand combination; and secondly, where did you get tubing of that size? :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
spider76 said:
Now this doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, but 2 questions come to mind. First, does the addition of the steel tubing change the stability of the engine/stand combination; and secondly, where did you get tubing of that size? :D

Thanks!
I've haven't noted any instability yet, but all I have on there so far is a short block but I'm not expecting any problem. If you look in the Yellow pages you should find something. The place I found in Toronto is called the "Metal Supermarket" " The convenience stores for the metal industry". They basically seem to sell just about anything metal. I just told them what I wanted, they asked how long and proceded to cut a piece for me. They charge by the pound.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTV4EVR said:
And now for question #3...what length of tubing did you get? I'm still waiting for my engine stand to arrive so I can't measure it myself.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
spider76 said:
And now for question #3...what length of tubing did you get? I'm still waiting for my engine stand to arrive so I can't measure it myself.
Mine is about 5 inches. Basically as small as possible while allowing you to mount it to the stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GTV4EVR said:
Mine is about 5 inches. Basically as small as possible while allowing you to mount it to the stand.
Thanks. That tubing looks like what road barriers are attached to around here....hmmmmmmmm...... :D

Ron Linhart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jim's engine adapter

Ron, looks like I'm a bit too late for you but if anyone else is looking for one of Jim Steck's engine stand adapters (see the initial post on this thread if you are unfamiliar), I have one available that I no longer need (since I've sold my Alfa). It is unused and has been painted black (it came from Jim unpainted). I also have an unused engine stand from Harbor Freight although it may be too heavy to ship economically. Send me a message if you are interested. Thanks! Harry

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
harrym said:
Ron, looks like I'm a bit too late for you but if anyone else is looking for one of Jim Steck's engine stand adapters (see the initial post on this thread if you are unfamiliar), I have one available that I no longer need (since I've sold my Alfa). It is unused and has been painted black (it came from Jim unpainted). I also have an unused engine stand from Harbor Freight although it may be too heavy to ship economically. Send me a message if you are interested. Thanks! Harry
Harry, check your inbox, I sent you a PM. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts