Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 times now, on warm days, my 1978 Spider starts to drive as though there is a loose plug or trash in the fuel line. It begins to sputter occasionally, increasing until it completely dies. After several minutes it will start again, but the process begins almost right away. The first time, I was near enough to a parts store, So I added a can of SEAFOAM to the gas tank. That SEEMED to do the trick as I had no further issue for several months.
Today is the first day in the mid 80s and though it's been nearly a year since the last time, here comes the stalling again. Do I need to add a fuel injection cleaner to my tank on a regular basis or just use higher grade of gasoline? Or maybe pull out the tank and actually try to clean and resurface the inside?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like a possible blocked vapor recovery valve or hose, which could be creating a vacuum in the gas tank, which in turn would keep gas from flowing freely. After it stalls the next time, trying opening the gas cap - if there's as 'whoosh' or hissing, that's probably the issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, if that's the case, maybe correcting that would reduce the ever present gasoline smell to which I've become acclamated. Always believed that it was just part of being a Spider Owner!
I'll look out for that, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
It took me a while to cure the gas smell. I cleaned and replaced hoses until the evaporations system and sender gasket were no longer leaking. A cleaning of the carpet in the trunk got rid of most of the residual smell.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
It took me a while to cure the gas smell. I cleaned and replaced hoses until the evaporations system and sender gasket were no longer leaking. A cleaning of the carpet in the trunk got rid of most of the residual smell.
Mine, too, had a leaky sender gasket, which I replaced (with the addition of some Form-A-Gasket 2 on both surfaces and in the screw holes). Afterwards, I wondered if merely tightening the 6 screws that attach the sender to the tank would have eliminated the leak, because the old gasket that I removed looked to be in pretty good shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts