Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 Giulia Spider Normale (101.23) which I picked up from its original owner probably 10 or so years ago. After taking a couple of years to restore some of the major systems (fuel, brakes, etc), I brought the car to Eurotec Motors (reputable Alfa mechanics in NJ) for a complete engine rebuild. Took a while but when I finally got her back, everything was fine - up until 1-2 years ago. After starting it up one spring, I found that there is significant white smoke from the tailpipe and breather. The car has hardly been driven since the engine rebuild, maybe 50 miles around town. The smoke does not seem to subside after running for a while, although I must admit I've been afraid to run it too long like that - so it basically sits in the garage. I'm toying around with the idea of selling her (too small for family and I need the space) and would like to know if anyone has ideas as to the cause. Could something major have happened to the engine so soon after a rebuild?? Wondering what it would take to diagnose & fix and how that would affect the selliing price.

Thanks for any advice.
-Jim
'64 Giulia Spider
'29 Model A Roadster

·
Registered
481 Posts
Was the head retorqued after the rebuild? Sounds like water leaking in the combustion chamber. If it not that, there could be a crack in the head. (Not uncommon)
Regards Ian

·
Premium Member
23,878 Posts
A compression test will help tell what's going on. And have you looked to see if there's oil in the water and/or water in the oil? Is it using water from the radiator? Also, you can take out the spark plugs and turn the engine on the starter. If you see little geysers and/or smell antifreeze, not good.
Some smoke on startup is normal to burn the condensation out of the mufflers, etc., especially in climates with real weather. But if it persists something's not right.
Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts