Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in California and am looking at a 74 spider. Since it is eligible for the smog exemption are there modifications that can be made to the engine to remove any power sucking smog equipment? Was there any smog gear on a 74?

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
I live in California and am looking at a 74 spider. Since it is eligible for the smog exemption are there modifications that can be made to the engine to remove any power sucking smog equipment? Was there any smog gear on a 74?
No, there really isn't any smog equipment on a '74.

Since you have a pre-'76 car, you can make any modifications you like. Strictly speaking, I don't think engine mods are legal, but practically speaking, there is no enforcement, and CARB has better things to worry about than 10.1 : 1 pistons in a '74 Alfa.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No, there really isn't any smog equipment on a '74.

Since you have a pre-'76 car, you can make any modifications you like. Strictly speaking, I don't think engine mods are legal, but practically speaking, there is no enforcement, and CARB has better things to worry about than 10.1 : 1 pistons in a '74 Alfa.
Engine mods are fine since they don't even need to be looked at by a smog tech.

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
A 74 won't go in for smog checks unless the legislature monkeys with the exemption, which they have done before. Generally they move it forward, not backward, though. It hasn't changed in about 10 years from the 75/76 split that is in effect now.

That said, cars are still supposed to have their original smog equipment intact. In theory there are roadside checks; if they sniff a high polluter they can stop you and look under the hood. I have heard of these, but never seen such a check. Plus, all the changes on a 74 are going to be internal, there's no external smog equipment visible, unless you change from Spica to carbs. So practically speaking, you don't have much, if anything, to worry about.

In urban areas, a car that visibly smokes can get reported to the local air quality board by a nosy do-gooder. I had it happen once with a Berlina, but it just generates a letter to get your car fixed or tuned.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
A 74 won't go in for smog checks unless the legislature monkeys with the exemption, which they have done before. Generally they move it forward, not backward, though. It hasn't changed in about 10 years from the 75/76 split that is in effect now.

That said, cars are still supposed to have their original smog equipment intact. In theory there are roadside checks; if they sniff a high polluter they can stop you and look under the hood. I have heard of these, but never seen such a check. Plus, all the changes on a 74 are going to be internal, there's no external smog equipment visible, unless you change from Spica to carbs. So practically speaking, you don't have much, if anything, to worry about.

In urban areas, a car that visibly smokes can get reported to the local air quality board by a nosy do-gooder. I had it happen once with a Berlina, but it just generates a letter to get your car fixed or tuned.

Andrew
Those checks are done on the "ricer" crowd mostly. CHP or local cops who want to curtail street racing will do underhood inspections and look for smog eqpt and or non C.A.R.B. compliant mods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. What about unleaded gas? Do you have to have the valves done or use additive?

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
No, Alfa heads have hardened seats. It's not an issue. There hasn't been any leaded gas around in 25 years.

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts