Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 spider and wanted to try and clean up the cam cover and head. Ultimately I would like a mirror like finish. So far I have been able to clean up the cam cover pretty well using sand paper and steal wool. Does anyone have any tips which would specifically help with shining up the head especially around the spark plugs? Should the head be removed for this process? Also I know people have used metal paints as well as sanding and polishing, which would be recommended? Thanks for the help…If anyone has photos of their shining engines I’d love the see them.

·
Registered
572 Posts
mine is polished to a nice shine, I didn't do it, but it looks great. Sorry I can't tell you how it was done, but at least you can sort of see it, photo is kinda small.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Brasso, simichrome, jewelers rouge, barkeepers freind, bon ami, fine paint rubbing compound will all work for bringing up a real shine on the cam cover and other smooth cast items.

The more porous stuff like the head are limited a bit more to how much shine they can take simply due to the texture.

If you want to spend the time with whatever tools removing all the rough finish, you certainly can, but it's not something I'd bother with :)

A toothbrush (brass bristle, then regular for your teeth type) will get into all those little pores so you can give them a good scrub, and you might be surprised at how good it can look when it's really clean.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Really, its a simple 5 step process.:)
1/ Take it off....
2/ Take it to your local polisher...
3/ Give him about $80...
4/ Go pick it up a few days later..
5/ Put it back on!:D

Should look like this...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
to clean the head, put in some old spark plugs first, then use carb cleaner, brushes and a rag tied around a screwdriver to clean the old oil and grease off the head. the solvents in carb cleaner will make the plugs unusable, so change them. the head on my old 74 spider cleaned up nicely and after getting the cam cover milled flat, it no longer leaks.
cliff

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Carb cleaner works on almost everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
a good metal polishing agent, like Semichrome, or Flitz, will give the head a nice shine--not as nice as the posted pictures of the removed head, but still nice. use a shop paper towel, which will get black immediately. you can still use that one since it is full of cleaner, but after a while change to a new one. The more you do this, over and over, the shinier it gets. A lot of pressure is not needed and does not seem to help. Repitition helps more. Wear gloves.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey Guys,

Carby cleaner work great.
Even better,carby clean first,then mag wheel cleaner.Works great on all the alloy bits.

Robert

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips guys...I started with "engine brite" and used painters plastic to cover everything around the engine that I didnt want to get wet Then used a powerwasher on part of the head...seemed to get the first layer off but I'm still working on it:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts