Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This evening, I did a few minor things to my '88 Veloce. I put some stop-leak in the radiator, some STP in the oil, and set out to hoon it for about 10-20 minutes (with the heater wide open and the top down) to let the stop-leak take effect. The car runs and drives great, and I was looking forward to a little starlight, top-down driving.

In less than 5 minutes, I was stopped at a traffic light on a hill when the engine died. I had the radio cranked pretty loud, and I thought I had simply killed it with bad clutch technique. I went to restart it, it caught and immediately died again. When I tried to crank it again, it turned over reluctantly...ok, something is wrong. I coasted it to a parking lot, walked back to the house to get my Avalanche and tools, and returned to the car.

Long story short, the starter could hardly turn the engine...even with the Avalanche connected via jumper cables. There were no indications prior to the engine stopping: oil pressure, electrical, temp...all indicated normal, with no warning lights. The radiator cap and oil cap were securely fastened. In fact, I hadn't even got the engine up to temperature to circulate the stop-leak; I can still see it floating in the neck of the radiator.

I towed it home, put it in the driveway, and put the battery charger on it. It showed 59% charge, which seems reasonable considering the cranking attempts, and towing it home with the flashers on. I pulled the plugs and put a scope down the holes...nothing out of the ordinary; the plugs show normal proper wear. I cranked it briefly with the plugs out, but again, would barely turn.

There are no unusual leaks, it made no strange noises, and as I mentioned above, it gave no indication of impending failure.

It would seem that I have a seized engine (with a radiator containing uncirculated stop-leak)...and I don't know why. I guess another possibility is that the starter suddenly went bad, but that doesn't explain the first failed start attempt.

It's going to sit tonight while I ponder this. I cannot think of anything I would have done to cause this, but coincidence is rare. I searched the BB and internet for relevant information before starting this thread, but obviously found nothing useful.

If anyone has any wisdom, I'm all ears.

NOTE: This story has a happy ending. See post #541 HERE for a summary of the project and lessons learned.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Kevin,
what I'd do first is, with all plugs out, put it in 4th gear and push the car......it should be easy to push.

·
Premium Member
14,334 Posts
It could be a poor connection of the ground strap between the bell housing and the chassis.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin,
what I'd do first is, with all plugs out, put it in 4th gear and push the car......it should be easy to push.
No, won't roll. Tried rocking it back-and-forth in 4th and 5th to no avail.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be a poor connection of the ground strap between the bell housing and the chassis.
Checked that; all clean and good. It appears the starter is trying. When I try to crank the engine (which by the way, this morning will not rotate at all), the headlights dim out, and the aftermarket stereo will reset.

The battery was on a charger all night, and has been otherwise OK.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure you didn't mix up the Stop Leak and the STP?
Although I am 55 years old, and it was dark at the time! ...Confident I did not; alumaseal in the radiator, STP in the oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How bad was the radiator leaking and from where? I wonder if the leak was the result water not being able to circulate back into the engine, and resulting in higher than usual pressure somewhere to cause the leak.

I am not sure on these cars having never run any of mine out of radiator water, but the temperature gauge might not tell you much if its not 'wet'. I know why my Chrysler sludge motor died I never saw a high temp reading. Once the oil got into the water and clogged the channels the temp gauge read real low.

·
Premium Member
14,334 Posts
Did you look down the plug holes to see if there is coolant in the combustion chamber?

If it is not hydraulically locked then it sounds like either a seized camshaft or crankshaft. I thought maybe something might have fallen into a timing chain sprocket and locked it but that would not account for it turning slowly before it locked up.

The next step maybe to pop the valve cover, slacken the timing chain and try to see what is stuck.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How bad was the radiator leaking and from where? I wonder if the leak was the result water not being able to circulate back into the engine, and resulting in higher than usual pressure somewhere to cause the leak.

I am not sure on these cars having never run any of mine out of radiator water, but the temperature gauge might not tell you much if its not 'wet'. I know why my Chrysler sludge motor died I never saw a high temp reading. Once the oil got into the water and clogged the channels the temp gauge read real low.
The frustrating thing is that none of these issues were critical (radiator, oil).

The radiator leak was just an annoyance, and when I added the stop leak, I ensured the level was topped off. My first thought was that the water pump had seized, but I'd only driven the car perhaps 3 minutes (less than a mile from my house); didn't even get it up to temperature. When I looked things over in the driveway, I could see the stop leak still floating at the top of the neck in the radiator.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you look down the plug holes to see if there is coolant in the combustion chamber?

If it is not hydraulically locked then it sounds like either a seized camshaft or crankshaft. I thought maybe something might have fallen into a timing chain sprocket and locked it but that would not account for it turning slowly before it locked up.

The next step maybe to pop the valve cover, slacken the timing chain and try to see what is stuck.
The scope showed nothing unusual in the cylinders. Couldn't see any scoring, no debris or anything.

I think you're right...take the valve cover off, and start to see exactly what's stuck.

·
Super Moderator
10,953 Posts
My first thought was that the water pump had seized, but....
Water pumps don't tend to seize, but even if your's did, the fan belt can't transmit that much power. That is, even with a stuck water pump, the crankshaft would keep turning while the belt just slipped.

alfaparticle said:
Yea, though I doubt you will see much. It would be interesting to de-couple the cams from the crankshaft to see which of the two are stuck. My guess is the crankshaft, perhaps some odd effect of the STP.

I once had similar symptoms on a newly-assembled engine. Turned out to be an 8 mm bolt wedged between the back of the crankshaft pulley and the front cover.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Something similar happened to me. Check to see you have a solid connection to the starter motor.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,309 Posts
Water pumps don't tend to seize, but even if your's did, the fan belt can't transmit that much power. That is, even with a stuck water pump, the crankshaft would keep turning while the belt just slipped.
Don't know about that. The shaft on the water pump of my old 75 Alfetta sheared off as I was exiting the highway, back in the day. The only explanation for that would be a seized bearing.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
No silver bullet fix it sounds like. When an engine seizes it usually doesn't roll slowly to a stop. It's an immediate stop, followed by sounds you may not recognize. I would remove the starter as a first step. This will eliminate a stuck starter drive. With starter removed you can push car forward while in gear. Removing the cam cover will aid you in watching camshaft for movement. Removing the spark plugs and inserting a long screwdriver will also show piston movement.
Good luck, Jon

·
Super Moderator
10,953 Posts
Don't know about that. The shaft on the water pump of my old 75 Alfetta sheared off as .....
Well sure, that's why I wrote "don't tend to seize" rather than "absolutely never seize". But I think you'll agree that even if Shakey's water pump shaft had sheared off, as your 75 Alfetta's did, it wouldn't lock up the engine.

not2old4toys said:
When an engine seizes it usually doesn't roll slowly to a stop. It's an immediate stop, followed by sounds you may not recognize.
Agree. That's why Shakey's symptoms are a bit puzzling. The engine seems to have gotten more and more stuck after the first few minutes of his drive.

Something tells me that when the autopsy is completed, the STP will be charged with the crime.

·
Premium Member
14,334 Posts
STP will increase the viscosity of the oil and raise the oil pressure but I don't see how it would cause an engine to seize.

·
Super Moderator
10,953 Posts
STP will increase the viscosity of the oil and raise the oil pressure but I don't see how it would cause an engine to seize.
Agree. I can't describe a mechanism that would allow STP to create a seizure either. Even if the higher viscosity locked up the oil pump, the pump shaft would have sheared, allowing the car to still roll while in gear.

But you have to admit that it's odd to have an Alfa that was running fine before STP, yet locked up a few miles after adding it. Could be a coincidence, but ....

1 - 20 of 572 Posts