Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the summer the engine temp was always around 175. As the temps got colder, it seems that the engine never heats up. After driving for about 2 hours in 40f, the engine temp gauge hardly moved. I'm not sure if the gauge is at fault, if these temps are normal for winter, or perhaps the thermostat needs to be replaced. Since most people don't drive their spiders in the winter, its been hard to find information on this. The heater usually starts to work after about 5-10 minutes of driving. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,022 Posts
If the gauge reads normally when it's warm out, most likely you've got a bad thermostat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Normally when the heater doesn't work, the thermostat is stuck somewhere open. You can test it in boiling water, and freezer. Opening and closing and check the position of the opening. Easy to change, get the stat and a gasket.

If the gauge reads normally when it's warm out, most likely you've got a bad thermostat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
running cold

Just came back from a short drive in my 79 spider. Temps outside 45. Guage registered 200 heater nice and toasty.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
are you saying the engine itself is not reaching the correct temp........or are you just going by the in-car gauge?
...how is the heater? it should be HOT, as konati above says (even on a spider!)
If the heater is toasty hot, then suspect the water temperature gauge or the temp gauge sender......sometimes just cleaning the wire to this sender helps it to read correctly, or, failing that, pulling the sender and cleaning the probe, which can corrode if the water system has not bee looked after correctly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The heat is only warm even after a long drive. I have a feeling its the thermostat. Is this hard to replace? I trying to learn to do my own work on the car, but don't have too much experience yet.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
thermostat replacement is very easy. The thermostat comes as one piece complete in a top housing, so just need to remove the two 13mm bolts, and replace with new thermostat housing top part (comes also with a rubber O ring so no gasket to worry about)

you will lose some water, obviously, when you take off the hose, but that is all. I would say 15 minute job.

thermostat looks like this, available at all the alfa suppliers, IAP, Centerline etc, etc.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts