Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure these questions are answered somewhere but I will ask them again. Car is a 1600 Duetto 1966.
Can the motor be removed without the trans?
Can the oil pan be removed with the motor in the car?
Can the trans be removed without removing the motor?
Is the easiest method to remove the motor and trans as a unit?
Looking for the info as planning some bottom end work.
Thanks, Tony

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
The motor can be removed without the transmission, but you will need to suspend the transmission. The lower pan can be removed, the upper pan would need the motor mounts removed and engine jacked up...a lot of work. The transmission can be removed with the engine in place. Either method of removal works, mostly depending on your work space and lifting equipment. I prefer removing separately and replacing as a unit. You will need to disconnect the driveline either at the differential or split the driveline. Removing the steering rod at the idler box is helpful. Lots of info here on the bb and even a workshop manual. The first time is a learning experience finding what else needs to be removed, i.e.: exhaust system , speedo and tach cable, starter cables, fuel lines, etc
Cheers, Jon

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
I'm used to removing the engine/transmission together - MG's do it that way. If you do not need to remove the transmission you will save a little time but perhaps not a lot of time as the bellhousing to engine attachment does not give you much room to work. The transmission can be slide back, down and out from underneath. It is heavy - a transmission jack or strong but dumb kid would be helpful. Note the long studs attaching the transmission to the engine are long and fairly skinny - avoid hanging the transmission off them or you risk bending/breaking them. A clutch alignment tool (or spare input shaft) is needed so align the clutch disc inside the pressure plate. Otherwise it is nearly impossible to slide the transmission & engine back together.

Unbolt the steering idler from the right side to lower the tie rod - this avoids disturbing the wheel alignment. You'll need the extra space to move the engine forwards before lifting it up. If removing the transmission with the engine, raise up the rear of the car (sturdy jack stands) and move the engine lifting bracket rearwards so you can lift, raise and then angle the assembly up & out.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Wait. Move the lifting strap rearward? Toward the firewall? I thought it was to be moved forward so I did in prep to pull engine/tranny out.... was that wrong? I thought moving it forward might let it hang at a steeper angle and help shoehorn it in/out.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I thought I had read move it forward but I cant really tell from your pictures where you have it located. I have tried to absorb as much info on removal/installation to avoid the difficulty I have read so much about. While on the subject, I can just unbolt from the guibo if taking them out together, right?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
It appears my memory has failed me - again... Sorry

Move the lifting strap forwards so you can tilt the assembly as you raise it up.
My memory! At 67 years young I wonder just how much crap we can keep putting into our brains.

Thanks for all your help Eric

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
While on the subject, I can just unbolt from the guibo if taking them out together, right?
I'll state right upfront that I don't recall exactly what I did (well, undid) to remove the assembly. I do recall that to remove the giubo one needs to put a large hose clamp (or 3 medium size hose clamps linked together) around the giubo to compress the rubber. This allows one to remove the bolts. New giubos come with a strap with instructions to leave it on until after the giubo is installed.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
I always remove the driveshaft before I remove either the transmission or engine/transmission combo. Some people split the driveshaft in the middle and pull the engine/transmission/front driveshaft together. I don't like the idea of the driveshaft dangling on the Giubo like that. Tranny removal and installation is easier with two people but at 72 I can still do it on my own with a transmission jack. I cannot get an engine and transmission in or out on my own. I once pulled an engine with the tranny in place and I did it on my own but getting it back in took two of us and it was difficult.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Thanks Ed. I will post my results. I will be trying on my own with a helper on standby....

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
37 Posts
My memory! At 67 years young I wonder just how much crap we can keep putting into our brains.

Thanks for all your help Eric
Here's hoping a lot more info, am turning another year older and am a Alfa beginner. I just had to pack some more info into my brain, I now know what a giubo is and along with what it is also the origin of the word. Hope to have my 1985 Alfa Veloce in the garage next week and start the process of discovery. Keep stuffing the crap in the brain, I think its the only part of me left that does not ache when used a lot. <sigh>

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Got the engine out today after work. Took less than 20 minutes by myself. I didnt split the driveline, just disconnected at the guibo. I think the trick was using a ratcheting strap. On the way out I looped the crank pulley and over the lift arm. That allowed me to adjust the angle of the dangle past the firewall. After I had it clear I moved the strap to grab a guibo bolt ( in gear) and the hoist chain. That leveled everything out a bit to swing it over the nose and onto the floor, you can see it in the pic...Easy peasy! I hope going in goes as well. Now to begin cleaning the NASTY engine compartment, install some loom covers, etc.
Oops! Didnt mean to hijack your thread.... moved to my post. Admin delete.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts