Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand what is happening:
the car is an alfa33 907A1F Permanent4, 16v 1.7L motronic ML4.1 engine management
135000km
While driving, the engine began to run improperly, like if a spark plug was dead, once cold, I was unable to ignite it, but the starter turns well, i have nice sparks, distributor is correctly set, fuel pump ok, fuel flows correctly.
Flywheel sensor was cracked so I replaced it with a new one, set new spark plugs, cleaned and checked all connectors, new distributor head and rotor, did autodiagnostic, code 4444 so everything ok, tested injectors with autodiag, but the engine still doesnt start! And it reacts like ignition timing is unset, which is quite impossible as the engine was working well before, and the distributor is still tightened...
I launched the starter with fuel pump disconnected, distributor out and intake manifold removed to check if the valves were moving correctly, two times I had flames out of the throttle bodies.
tomorrow I will check if the timing belts are ok, but these are only 6 month old.

Help, I cant sleep anymore!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Baha, I wonder if you solved your puzzle? My 16V pulled exactly the same trick on me. After the engine died, I realized there was no spark, replaced the flywheel sensor, sparks came back, I cleaned all (new, by the way) spark plugs just to be sure - and it didn't start. I even tried to pull it (had some success with this with boxers and V6s). No good. So, how is yours?
---
Update: problem solved. The spark plug cables were plugged in the wrong way. How is that possible? Unfortunately, I wasn't driving the car when it stopped and I wasn't present when the guys tried to fire it up. Some bright chap evidently decided that the spark plugs were plugged in wrong (if so, how in hell did it work up until then??? WHAT ARE SOME PEOPLE THINKING???) and replugged them. This didn't start the car with a broken flywheel sensor but at least prevented it from restarting with a replaced flywheel sensor... I'm gonna kill somebody. But the boxer is running fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts