Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the old girl shows the years and engine pressure gauge drops from normal when cold to little above zero after a long drive. Does not overheat though, performance only marginally different, and compression on all 4 cylinders is within acceptable limits at about 150 - 160 psi.
My mechanic suggested I ignore it since it's a faulty pressure sender with no impact or performance or potential for damage... does that make sense?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
yep, sounds like pressure sender on right side of engine. They go bad.
(you could, just to confirm it is not the dash gauge playing up, ground the single wire to the sender....the dash gauge should max out)

Not to be confused with the sender on driver's side, near the oil filter, which is for the low oil pressure warning light.

fairly easy to swop out the sender, make sure you get the right one for the instrument type, and you'll ideally need a 14mm or a 17mm 'thin' wrench (spanner).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh lord give me strength... back to adventures in parts sourcing, shipping and customs clearing... Alfisti in nowhere land :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh lord give me strength... back to adventures in parts sourcing, shipping and customs clearing... Alfisti in nowhere land :(
I just got one for a veglia gage from one of our east coast supplier and it reads incorrectly so perhaps you should try one of the suppliers over the pond.

·
Administrator
16,396 Posts
...engine pressure gauge drops from normal when cold to little above zero after a long drive.
Do you mean idle oil pressure? If so, it is safe to say they all do that (eventually). It may not be the sender (although that is often the weak link). I think the gauge is just poorly labeled. The left side mark should probably be labeled 10 psi or even 20 psi - not zero. Zero is closer to where the needle rests when you shut off the ignition.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When my Spider 1750 needed a new oil pressure sender I got a Veglia from a fellow Alfisti - it worked fine with my Jaeger instrument.
But get the right one for your instrument. Plenty of sellers in both EU (mainland Europe) or UK.
I've always bought my spare parts from highlandalfa.com - the owner, Chris, is always very help full.
It here Engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts