Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm replacing seals on my engine and I have removed a steel plate that is bolted to the side of the engine under the intake manifold. It has a hole in it with a flange on it, but it doesn't connect to anything when the engine is in the car and has no obvious function. I have twin webers, if that's useful information

Before I clean it up to replace it, it would be useful to know if it serves any useful purpose. Does anyone know what it is for?

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
It's a warm air stove to bring warm air up to the carb intake in cold weather, via a tube to the fitting. The matching airbox has a flap where the hose attaches to pull air from straight ahead (cold) or down (from this stove) depending on the season.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, thanks Andrew, that was quick! That makes sense - I always thought there was something missing at the front of the airbox and wondered what was supposed to be there. I'll get a hose and fit it when I've got the car back together.

Duncan

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
The right airbox is the "log" type with cast alum base, round metal can top, two straps, a snorkel out the front, and a two-way flipper valve to direct the incoming air. In the real world unless you live somewhere pretty cold I wouldn't worry, functionally. Also, that side of the block is not really warm at all, especially in cold weather. So I wonder have actually effective, especially on cold starts when the engine has no heat in it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... which is probably why the PO(s) didn't replace the hose when it rotted away. At very least I'll clean it up and replace it rather than just chucking it away. :)

Thanks again for your help
Duncan

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Andrew has got it right. That part is rather rare to find as it was often removed and not reinstalled along the 40 -50 year history of a given car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Aha... Another thing goes onto the to do list. This assembly is missing on my car. If any of you guys have these parts lying around, I am in the market.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I had one of those, posted a photo of it for ID, no one identified it -- so in the trash it went!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I found one today. It is available.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts