Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had 10.4/1 pistons, and 92644 Cams (11mm lift) from IAP installed on my '84 Spider. The engine pings and mechanic doesn't seem to be able to stop the ping. I have to put in 103-octane booster in the tank, and it still pings above 3,000 rpm. I have the RML Electronic Ignition (4101R) from IAP and think I should advance the ignition. Does anyone know how to do this on the RML Ignition systems, bought from RML? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
10.4:1 should run fairly well on 92-93 PON fuel. Of course if you had the head decked, or it wasn't up to full deck thickness due to a shave whenever ago, that 10.4:1 would be out the window.

Retarding the timing a bit is usually the first thing to try.

To advance or retard, you do just like everyone with a dizzy has done since almost the begining of time: Loosen the distributor lockdown bolt and turn the distributor body.

The lockbolt would be the one that goes crossways just under the head of the dizzy, not the one that goes straight down into the timing chest at the base of the dizzy shaft housing, (you know, the one where the shearbolt was) Both are 10mm wrench/socket.

Turning the dizzy body clockwise will retard timing, turning it anti-clockwise will advance timing.

This is all presuming the new dizzy body was installed correctly so the optics are aligned with the rotor like they should be, that you've got your plug wires installed correctly, cap-n-rotor are fully/correctly installed, and the RML add-in gizmonics stuff is all properly wired, powered and grounded.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Clay,
No mechanic is going to be able to solve this... The problem is that no matter what you try to adjust, you have exceeded the fuel delivery parameters of the Bosch fuel management ECU. There is a simple way to prove this and also to ensure that you won't ping. RML sells a fuel enrichner, which is essentially a resistor that intercepts the signal that goes from the sensor to the ECU, and fools the ECU into delivering more fuel. It's easy to connect and it can be done a little different from going into the engine bay and through the firewall by simply taking the rear deck panel out and splicing it into the wire from the harness to the ECU. It works very well... I use it for the track.

This can be a long subject, so feel free to call me about this... I did a lot of research on this over the summer, and had great input from RML as well as the people who do my track set-up...

Best regards,

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Pinging

What RPM is it pinging??
It may be solvable with cam timing.
The RML dist can be adjusted to retard initial advance by moving the spring post that return the counter weights to closed. Simply bend out the post a mm at a time & drive to see results. Overall degrees of advance will not change.
If that does not do it then retard the exhaust cam 1 degree at the cam to increase overlap which will bleed off some intake charge & reduce combustion pressure ( and HP & torque:eek:). What are the cams set at now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts