Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my last oil change, my Alfa mechanic put in 10w 30. But, in my owner's manual it says to use 10w 50. Which should I be using? I live in Connecticut.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think you will find Castrol 20-50 is a popular one on this board.

Jeff

·
Administrator
17,382 Posts
Castrol 20W-50 is what I use in our '84 Spider, also.

Be careful NOT to use oils described as 'Energy Conserving' (look for a starburst symbol on the label). Those oils will likely have markedly reduced levels of zinc compunds that our older engines require.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yup, my Spider takes 20W50 also........

Never knew I was such a conformist!!:p

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
10W~30 is for lawnmowers, sewing machines and places where you need to start a car when it's -30 F :)

Thanks, but when it's -30 F, I'm stayin' ******' indoors:)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Seriously.....uh -ohhhh, a serious oil viscosity discussion.....hmmmmm...

10-50 is almost impossible to get, but a good oil. 20-50 is v popular, IMO, cuz it is 1) available, 2) thicker at startup/ambient temp than 10-40, and therefore, leaks less.

BUT 20-50 lubricates less than a lighter oil. Why? Cuz engine is MOST vulnerrable at startup, when oil colder, thats where the 10 is better than the 20......To be continued....

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
engine is MOST vulnerable at startup

Ah, but the thinking man burnishes his bearings with molybendum disulfied powder when the engine is apart.

With or without oil, it will provide lubricity and thus less wear and tear at startup. (it might even crank a bit faster too)

Of course one has to actually get into the engine to do it, so it's understandable that not everyone has that added protection. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okay, not to be an igoramus... but I've never heard of molybendum disulfied powder... what is it, where do I get it, how do I use it?

As some of you may have read I'm doing a rebuild as we speak, and anything I can do to reduce the liklihood of doing this again I'm interested in hearing about. :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Maybe I'm sounding a bit harsh, but you say your "Alfa mechanic" put in 10W-30? He's no Alfa mechanic in my book, unless he cut his teeth on Alfas in Alaska, perhaps.

10W-30 has NO place in an Alfa engine, IMO, unless your driving in the dead of winter in Buffalo, NY.

Drain that stuff and put in at least a 10W-50, or 20W-50 for summer use. A good synthetic like Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 will provide residual lubrication film to the bearing surfaces even with the engine at rest.

·
Registered
532 Posts
15w-50 Mobil 1 for me, in all the cars I own, year-round. I'm in the Hell of south Florida, FWIW. Never used anything else, in any car, since the late 70's when the synth oils first hit the market.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Maybe I'm sounding a bit harsh, but you say your "Alfa mechanic" put in 10W-30? He's no Alfa mechanic in my book, unless he cut his teeth on Alfas in Alaska, perhaps.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts