Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change on my Alfa Romeo 147 my engine oil and filters by myself, who can tell me how many liters of oil enter in the Alfa Romeo 147 engine ?

I have a Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD, please tell me what type of oil should I use ?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The 1.9 JTD takes 4.5 liters, including the oil filter. The handbook calls for Selenia WR, but another modern 5W/40 for turbo diesels will do.

If you lack an owner's handbook for your 147, you can download it from Alfa directly: link.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Castrol Magnatec 5W/40 C3 meets the Fiat specifications, so it should be safe to use.

Note: you didn't say whether you have a 8V JTD, a 16V JTD or a JTDm, but the oil you mention meets the spec for all of them.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The 147 JTD owner's manual states 4.5 liters when you change the filter. That converts to 4.7 quarts. Not sure where 4.2 quarts comes from.

·
Registered
652 Posts
oils

In reality you will need five lt's. You have a particular filter in the exhaust so you need to use a low ash oil recommended for modern diesels. You also need to reset the oil change information in the ecu so that the oil degradation can be calculated correctly. This is an additional function to the service interval reset.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hey Torw. We just find they need five lts of oil to reach the full level on the dip stick after service. Weather there is a difference to cars sold here in Australia to where you are I don't know.

Its interesting to note on the on the chart you provided it shows only 5.9lts for the V6 when in fact it takes 6.5 to get the required level on the dipstick.

As far as oils go I wasn't suggesting the Castrol wasn't suitable but was just making a general comment about modern diesel oils.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts