Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one with more knowledge let me know what this engine number relates to. The first part is in the usual numbering and the part after the A is a different type of lettering: AR 00526/A 65680 .
Thank you

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
That would be for a late model Super. It is most likely stamped on the left rear of the block, by the flywheel.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I just noticed a referance that said this engine series started in 1969 if that helps.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
...and were produced through 1973. This engine type was modified in 1974 and became the AR00526/A*S.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Jim & 101/105guy
Jim What mods were done, as the cam cover looks like a giulietta with knerled 14mm cam cover nuts, there are two front bolts on the front???
Regards
Jim

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The two front cam cover bolts started appearing in about 1966 and the 14mm cover nuts a year or two later.

The modifications to which I was referring have to do with the later engines that have the letter 'S' preceding the engine sequential number. These engines were Standardized for emission controls. Mods to the S engines include cam timing, ignition timing, dizzy curve and, in some cases, different carbs and jetting.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Cam cover bolting tabs occurred in about February 1966 along with the addition of a cam cover breather. The topside was formerly a 101 with the rear breather. The Supers had the new 105 batwing sump from the begining of production early in 1965 sometime.

I believe the "S" designation on the SN indicated an S4 Nuovo Super, with production starting in 1974 (to 1977 sometime) and phasing out the so-called S3 "unificata" Supers which had merged all body/trim features of the 1300 and 1600 but the engine and rear-end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts