Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started the strip down of my 72 alfa 1600 junior over the holidays in readiness for the blasters.

I removed the motor but the engine number is confusing me.

The engine number series for my car (115.05) should run from AR0536 00001 to AR0536 05425.

The number on the block reads AR0536 23564

The number in the cars log book doc reads AR0051 223564

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I should also add that someone previously tried to hide the cars original chassis number by pop riveting a fake aluminium ID plate over it. Im wondering if they screwed around with the engine number too?

·
Premium Member
22,354 Posts
And that plate wasn't used in some country that requires separate builder's plates (France, Germany, others)? It sounds like the logbook entries are just errors, as some numbers are the same. I would guess the car got a replacement engine at some point of the same type, but a later individual example. It has long been common to drop in another good one rather than rebuild the original. These cars didn't use to be worth anything, and not many cared about serial numbers.

Andrew

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the response. The aluminium plate was a fake im sure - the number on that plate tries to correspond to a completely different car (a 1300 junior). I think someone was trying to pass it off as something else in the distant past (possibly stolen and trying to resell it).

My concern is that engine number doesn't seem to correspond with any range of 0536 motors that Alfa supplied - as per http://www.ed.se/cat/1859/Classicoguide.pdf

The log book number 00512.23564 puts it as a 2000cc.
It should be a 1570cc and is stamped 0536 which is correct, but the last 6 digits don't fit with the engine numbers in the guide. Is the guide 100% accurate?

Can anyone confirm if the number 'looks' genuine?

I have seem images on here where the engine number also has the 'stars' stamped into the spaces between numbers (like the chassis stamping). Mine doent have that, but the stamping looks 'factory' in that its even and inline.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Is the guide 100% accurate?
No. There are known errors in some listings and this may be another one.
The 00536 engine was initially produced from 1965-1968 and fitted to both L & RHD versions of the Spider 1600 and Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. Right around 20,000 examples were built. This engine was not produced for a number of years after 1968. It returned again in 1972 and was used in the Spider 1600 Junior and GT Junior 1.6.
It would seem from your engine number alone, 23564, that it could not have been produced between 1965 and 1968 simply because the engine number is too high. Another clue is the location of your engine number. Alfa changed the numbers' location from the right side of the block to the left side bellhousing flange in late 1969/early 1970. Your number being on the bellhousing flange would suggest a post 1969/70 manufacture date.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Jim

Does the stamping look 'factory' to you?

If its genuine, Im thinking the guide is either inaccurate or the engine is perhaps out of a later 115.34 GTJ 1.6 or 115.35 spider 1.6 (available in UK from '74 to '76 I think).

·
Premium Member
22,354 Posts
Both the engine stamping and VIN stamping look original to me. Would someone really fake an engine stamp for a common engine? Maybe so to sort out registration issues.

Agree with Jim, plenty of issues in Fusi's and others' numbers.

Andrew

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
With the 115.34 and 115.35 models being fitted with 00526/A*S 1.6L engines, and the production numbers and time frames taken into account, 23564 may be the cars original engine as fitted at the factory.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great thanks fellas!
That's cheered my up a fair bit!

Hopefully will start a new thread soon, showing the teardown pics before I ship to the soda blasters!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts