Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..this going to sound stupid but its a legitimate question

how far can a 87 milano engine be moved into the firewall BEFORE the oilpan collides with the cross member.......yes i am aware of started nub hitting the wall and other ancilary issues, my ONLY concern is pan clearance, i may have had a light bulb go off in my brain that may have finnaly solved the radiator issue in my lloyd IE whats left of an 87? or 89 milano platinum, yes im fully aware of the exhaust issues i have a new route planed for that...just concerned about pan to gain rad space

·
Administrator
3,731 Posts
Hey Sh0rt

Glad to see you are getting back to your LLoyd, is this the Milano platform that was to go under Gsprint ??

Alas I know nuthin' about Milano's, but it's good to see you back posting & fabricating again

Aye
Greig

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Hmm, your post is hard to make sense of. But I gather you want to move the engine back, towards the driver, Yes?

In that case the answer is very little. The pan slopes up from where the upper and lower pans join and you can barely get a hand between the pan and the crossmember.

But for a fabricator like you, it should be short work to cut, section and weld up the pan till you get the clearance you need

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats exactly what i was afraid of, honestly ive got 1 gtv6, 1 gtv6 "chassis(under g sprint) 1 milano chassis(can you call whats left that its under the lloyd, 2 alfettas, and a pair of spiders, thing is i could have dug thru my spare engines but it wouldnt have told me much, and its rough to access the lloyd atm, so figured is ask

so the next question then is..if the pan was "squared" could i gain say 2 inches or more?...ive got a few spare pans and engines and i know someone who would gladly weld me up a pan if i prepped it

my issue is i need to sink the engine back at minimum 2 inches..3 would be IDEAL, my problem is that the Tstat housing is sitting inside my radiator space....so much so a 1/2inch thick rad would just clear

with whats "remains" of the firewall as is theres plenty of room up there. a small dimple for the starter nub on the bell housing and theres neerly 4 inches of space, but i couldnt see the pan and crossmember

next question on top of this is...does a quad cam sit in the bay any different...since i know it has a deeper set crank i wondered if the block placement is different
Hey Sh0rt

Glad to see you are getting back to your LLoyd, is this the Milano platform that was to go under Gsprint ??

Alas I know nuthin' about Milano's, but it's good to see you back posting & fabricating again

Aye
Greig

yeah with everything thats been going on and gone on my wife told me i need to do some work on my own stuff for a while unless something too good to pass up pops up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts