Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to replace my s3's starter and motor mounts. Will removal of the mounts, with engine jacked up, make r and r of the starter any easier? I'd like to leave the induction system together, if possible. I am also considering pulling the ac compressor at the same time.

·
Premium Member
21,671 Posts
It's really hard to get at anything on the intake side without removing the plenum. It comes off without disturbing the intake manifold w/ fuel rail proper. Look closely and mark all hoses, etc., and there's a supporting strut underneath that can be tricky til you understand how the bolts fit. I can't imagine getting to any of it without the plenum removed.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I was able to remove my compressor (anyone need a harness?) with it's failed clutch without removing any other hardware, but if you are doing engine mounts anyway, compressor R&R should be facilitated.

Again, I used hardly any C4 getting my compressor out and collateral damage was minimal.

On Long Island, would not A/C be welcome on occasion? Also, I thought the Grad was an entry level stripper. How did yours get A/C?

All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
News Flash! AlfaBB Appoints Fact Checker!

Thanks miami592 :thumbup:!

A radio was optional!?!? Talk about keeping MSRP down! Who knew?

By the powers invested in me by absolutely no one, I hereby confer upon you the official title of "AlfaBB Fact Checker", with all concomitant benefits and honors accompanying that exalted position.

We shall all rely upon you to closely monitor all BB posts, and respond accordingly. That should keep you out of trouble :)

:oops: Sorry miami592, too late! Every active member already shares fact checking responsibilities!

All the best.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
mgsteve,

This is the dirty little secret to do what you are wanting to do.

First remove the drivers side mount. You will have to be supporting the motor on a floor jack or engine hoist, of course. The drivers side mount is the easiest to remove. With the drivers side mount removed, take off the 3 nuts which hold the passengers side mount to the engine block. Now you can roll or swing the engine over toward the passengers side which will allow you to access the bottom bolt and nut on the passengers side mount far easier. Your model may have a rear starter brace attached to the passengers side mount. If so, this has to come off. With both mounts removed, you can move the engine around to make removing the starter a lot easier. You don't have to remove the distributor or intake to get the loose starter out of the car. Drop the center drag link of the steering (mark it so you can replace it EXACTLY as it was before). With the drag link removed the starter will drop out the bottom.

Reassembly is in the opposite order of what is above. It does help if you remove the distributor cap and rotor and set the cap up on the top of the cylinder head with wires still attached.

Have fun and get a 6 pack and a buddy to help, or at least keep you company. Profanity does not help but does make you feel better about it all.

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts