Alfa Romeo Forums banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Spider Veloce
3 Posts
One more tool recommendation for this job: wobbly extensions. They allow you to work with long extensions from below when you don't have a straight shot at the bolt/nut you want to remove. They don't suffer from the floppiness of a universal joint socket adapter. Very satisfying.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
1,075 Posts
Getting around to doing my 84 now. I had recently installed a fan shroud and found that the fan now grinds on the shroud...yep...collapsed mounts.

Just did the driver's mount this Sunday...Now the intake hose does not reach...tells you how much the mounts had collapsed. Hopefully it will reach again once I do the right side mount.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior
Gas Automotive tire Boot Art Flooring

·
Registered
370 Posts
Was able to swap mounts without removing the plenum this time. I thought it was a big win until I tried buttoning up the passenger side bracket between the plenum and the engine. For some reason, I can only get either the 13mm bolt attaching the bracket to the engine or one of the 17mm bolts from the bracket to the plenum. I've tried loosening the clamps on the rubber air intake connectors, but still no joy.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance- Jeff

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Just did the driver's mount this Sunday...Now the intake hose does not reach...tells you how much the mounts had collapsed.
and a reason to remove that hose before tackling the mounts......you need to raise the engine a fair bit and that hose will get stretched, worst case it will split.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Adding to this excellent thread. I apologize if some of this info is redundant.
The aft 17mm bolt that attaches thru the plenum support bracket and threads into the plenum casting is really difficult to remove/reinstall. I used a 17mm crows foot on a 20” 3/8 socket extension to drive the fastener out/in. Lots of patience required due to small turns but it works. When the plenum support bracket was out, I enlarged the fastener clear holes to make getting the plenum fasteners back in more easily. I removed the intake plenum assembly completely to gain access to the passenger mount. It was not as bad as it looks. On reassembly, getting the plenum bracket clear holes aligned to the threaded fastener holes in the plenum casting is a challenge. From under the car, I was able to see the alignment of the bracket clear hole to the threaded plenum hole. I could see that the alignment was off and no amount of trying to get the fastener started was going to work. With a long slender pointed rod, I was able insert the pointed tip into the threaded plenum hole and bump the plenum bracket clear hole over enough to be able to get the fastener started. Also, there is a very stiff hose AC that passes in front of access to the aft 17mm plenum bracket fastener. I used a cord to tie this hose outboard and out of the way prior to reassembly.
My car is an S4 USA version. For this model, the passenger mount incorporates a threaded flange to provide an anchor point for a starter motor support. I recycled the upper half of the mount and scalped the lower rubber portion from a new mount. If you have this situation, this is your best option. There is an entire thread dedicated to the S4 passenger motor mounts with photos you will want to read.

·
Premium Member
1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio
67 Posts
I just reread through this thread and one of my post either disappeared or never got posted.

For the most part follow the instructions in the first post. But do the suggestions below.

When you do motor mounts remove the drivers side and leave it OFF. Now go do the passenger side. By leaving the drivers side off this will give you a lot of room to push the engine over to the drivers side making it easier by giving you more room to get the mount off and on. Once done with the passenger side and its all tightened up install the drivers side.

In the hundreds I have replaced I have never removed the plenum on any model.

The rectangular mounts that Classic Alfa sells are much better then the round ones which are made by Akron. They also last much longer. Back in the day Pirelli made the rectangular mounts and they lasted at least twice as long as the oem mounts.

Also I posted this before. But one of the base plates on the Akron brand is bonded rotated slightly off center. Making it much harder to get the bolt in.

A good Alfa tech should only be charging 3.5 hours to replace both motor mounts. One hour for the drivers and 2.5 for the left. So if you beat that time by at least 30 minutes. You might have missed your calling in life.
Jim,
I paid very close attention to your post; I am just now doing the mounts on my '87 Spider. As you suggested, I left the driver's side suspended and then took loose the passenger side mount. I like that I can now move the engine for some extra clearance.
QUESTION: In your experience, did you have to loosen/unbolt the bracket where it attaches to the plenum? Or did you just leave it as-is and use the extra clearance to wiggle the support bracket out of the mount? If so, did you just sort of navigate the bracket back into the new mount and then tighten everything down?
Also- the rear 13mm nut that attaches the mount to the engine block....what tool? I can't get an "S" wrench, socket, nothing around it. What did you use?
Thanks and much blessings to you....

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Jim,
I paid very close attention to your post; I am just now doing the mounts on my '87 Spider. As you suggested, I left the driver's side suspended and then took loose the passenger side mount. I like that I can now move the engine for some extra clearance.
QUESTION: In your experience, did you have to loosen/unbolt the bracket where it attaches to the plenum? Or did you just leave it as-is and use the extra clearance to wiggle the support bracket out of the mount? If so, did you just sort of navigate the bracket back into the new mount and then tighten everything down?
Also- the rear 13mm nut that attaches the mount to the engine block....what tool? I can't get an "S" wrench, socket, nothing around it. What did you use?
Thanks and much blessings to you....
I rarely removed the plenum bracket. Every once in awhile I would have to.

I've always used the Snap On S wrench and also the Snap On 1/4" drive universal 13mm socket on a wobble extension. Snap On's sockets and wrenches tend to be a lot thinner on the outside compared to store bought brands. You can grind the outside diameter of the wrench down to get it in there.

Reactions: goats

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I rarely removed the plenum bracket. Every once in awhile I would have to.

I've always used the Snap On S wrench and also the Snap On 1/4" drive universal 13mm socket on a wobble extension. Snap On's sockets and wrenches tend to be a lot thinner on the outside compared to store bought brands. You can grind the outside diameter of the wrench down to get it in there.
Thanks....
What exactly is a "wobble" extension..?
I've always known Snap-On to be the choice that pros use; for many reasons including what you said about the thinner walls I suppose. I have a big mix of vintage Craftsman stuff and other brands, but very little Snap-On.
I do have some1/4inch sockets with a built-in universal swivel; is that what you are talking about? but what is the"wobble" extension?
thanks again...I appreciate your input and experience
Vic

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks....
What exactly is a "wobble" extension..?
I've always known Snap-On to be the choice that pros use; for many reasons including what you said about the thinner walls I suppose. I have a big mix of vintage Craftsman stuff and other brands, but very little Snap-On.
I do have some1/4inch sockets with a built-in universal swivel; is that what you are talking about? but what is the"wobble" extension?
thanks again...I appreciate your input and experience
Vic
A wobble extension is an extension that allows some angular movement of the socket at the end:

Hoe this helps- Jeff

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
A wobble extension is an extension that allows some angular movement of the socket at the end:

Hoe this helps- Jeff
Yes...very much so!! Thanks; I've worked on my cars all my life and never knew about these. glad to see Harbor Freight carries them; I'll stop by

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight set in 3/8", and strung end to end, they can curve over an Alfa manual tranny, which is quite handy. That extra play is critical. I bought the regular extensions, not the impact extensions.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
Reactions: factotum

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Thanks Jim-
Today I finally got the passenger mount out...
In the end I used the "S" wrenches....what made the difference was your suggestion to let the engine hang loose...I also had to remove the bracket, but that was no big deal. Letting the engine hang loose makes all the difference in the world- I can move it side to side; or up and down, whatever I need to do to make everything fit and come together. I was able to get to the bracket much easier just by raising the engine. But once the bracket was out, everything flowed.
Thanks again-

·
Registered
14 Posts
For anyone removing the Plenum, do you also have to drain the coolant? I have a 1990 S3 Spider, and it appears that there are coolant hoses that attach to the top. Thanks!

141 - 158 of 158 Posts