Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks Dave, good write-up.

But what is a "ring wrench". A box-end wrench, maybe?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
ahhh.....crazy foreign people ;)

Spanner I know, but get more specific and I'm lost!

I was hoping it was some secret tool you'd stumbled across to make those nuts and bolts easier to get to!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'll be hitting the passenger side next, already have most of the nuts and bolts loosened, but the bottom bolt on the support bracket is insanely tight. It's absolutely corrosion free, but wont budge. I hit it with penetrating oil and will let it soak in. Pondering if removal of the intake is the way to go....wow there's a bunch of stuff to disconnect and reconnect. I can see the merits and pitfalls of both approaches.
On a '91 there's not THAT much to detach. And it's really straight forward. A few hoses, a couple of electrical connectors and the throttle linkage. Take some pictures beforehand in case you're not sure where one of the hoses goes when you put it back together.

Do you have the bolts holding the plenum to the support bracket loose? I've found those to be the trickiest. If you have them loose though go ahead and pull the plenum and that will give you WAY more room to go after the lower bracket bolt. Sine that bolt attaches to the engine mount you have to get it loose whether you remove the plenum or not. So if you have the bolts under the plenum loose you're 90% of the way there - those are definitely the crux of the job.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It just pulls off at the block as shown (might have small clamp) and at the bottom of the OVS.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to put a small clamp on it, but just for reference all of those little hoses (original) on my car are just a slip fit over the barbed nipples.

edit: oh, and nicely done, Keemosabe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts