Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Anyone try it on a '91+ and succeed without taking stuff off?
I changed them out on my '91 last year following the "dummies" method.

No doubt, the passenger side is a major PIA, but can be done.

What bolts cant you get off? Picture?

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I'm bored, and I think I will replace my motor mounts too. I have one question: when removing the passenger side mount bolts, you go from the top with a ratchet extension or the bottom? If from the bottom, will I need the wheels free to turn one way or the other to gain room from the stearing components? I would rather have the car on ramps than jack stands.
I did mine from the bottom with the car on ramps.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I've got signs of the crankshaft pulley rubbing on the cross member - a shiny bit of metal instead of oil encrusted paint - so I'm thinking its probably time for new mounts.

This thread will be very helpful but can I just check a couple of points:

- Is the sump pretty robust, I don't want to put the jack in the wrong place and bust the sump?
- lifting the engine by 2 - 3" sounds a lot. Isn't there a danger of bending/cracking the exhaust, for example? Or should the exhaust mounts be slackened off somewhere?

I know it must work 'cos you've all done it but some reassurance would be good.
I also used this thread, a few times.

Sump is robust, but what I do is place a piece of 2x4 that is around the same width as the sump, so that the pressure is distributed across the sump and not just in one place.

I didn't have to loosen the exhaust or any other place.

One word of warning, and might sound obvious, but make sure the hood is open when you lift the engine using the sump. Not much, almost no room between the hood and that oil cap. Don't ask how I know.

Good luck.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Keemosabe,

Congrats on the motor mount change. Its a right of passage!

Now that you did that, looks like you need to change the OVS hose shown in the picture. Looks like its leaking and some PO tried a poor fix by using a zip tie.

It just pulls off at the block as shown (might have small clamp) and at the bottom of the OVS.

I took mine into Napa, told them its for oil and got a new hose cut to length. I think it was under $5 or so.

Pushed new one on.

Congrats again.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
A quick update. I finished up the Spruell motor mounts, very happy with the way they went in. ...... Net result, I have huge clearance between the sump guard and the sump fins compared to when I started.
Bob
Hi Bob,

Congratulations! Looks great and wait till you driver her! Feels so much smoother.

Is that your horn hanging down? The big red thing?

Congrats again,

Vin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts